close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I take this job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by flathunter, Aug 19, 2004.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Folks I have a chance at a different job at my place of employment, alot more money but alot of drawbacks...All weeks would be 6 day work weeks, with 7 day workweeks 40 percent of the time also...alot of 12 and 16 hr days, and being on call 24-7....The upside is tons more money, at least double what I am now making. The downside is I would have to give up fishing, hunting, and anything else other than work..Work would be my whole life..I need the money bad, but I dont know if I am willing to give up everything else to get it?
    Any thoughts?

2. JBJ

JBJ

There is no way they could be paying enough money to warrant your working under those conditions. Many wise rich men say that if you can't do it with 40 hours a week then it's not worth doing. So, I would say no.

3. dip

dip dip

WORK?????? my life ain't work and work will NEVER be my life! give up fishin give up on life.... i'll be glad to take those 7000's off yer hands!

4. BIGDAWG

BIGDAWG Team Bass Xtreme

The main thing to think about is your family. You however, are the one that has to DO the work and be happy with it. I believe all of us here on this site find that fishing and hunting is a great release from the daily stress of WORK!! :mad: To give that up and solely be a workaholic would ultimately jeopardize your family life. Trust me, it happened with my parents. All the money in the world isn't worth a dime if YOU are not happy and have time to enjoy it. I'm sure you will do what is in the best interest of your family. Just my 2 cents, I'll step down from the soap box!!!! :rolleyes: BD. Good luck....

5. flathunter

I just had a long talk with the guy who is currently in this posistion. He told me for over the last year he has averaged over 70hrs a week, with only 9 days off in the past 12 monthes................I am leaning on not taking the offer.

6. I would stick with the current job if it meant working 60-75hrs per week.

7. dip

dip dip

you always seemed more jovial when you were unemployed all those years..... now you pulling down a little dough and you're miserable..... imagine how you'll be working 700 hours per week?

8. I think that the money is not worth it, all other things being normal. I can think of some situations where it might be absolutely necessary. But if that is not the case, then all the money in the world is worthless without time to enjoy the fun things. And there is not even enough time to eat and sleep at 70 hours per week. I don't even think I could fish and hunt for 70 hours a week for very long before it would get to be tough to do. But, I would be willing to try that for a while.

9. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

everyone can always "use" extra money but if the hours are gonna make you give up alot of what makes you happy then it wouldn't be worth it.
    take some time and think it over,you'll figure out what's best for you.

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Hey Jackson, take the job, then while your wife and kid is suckin up your money cuz you are too busy and tired to enjoy it, you can find a couple of free moments to get on here and complain to us how at least when you weren't catching fish you did have time tooooo fish. Man it ain't worth it. Money is good and all but remember this, the more you have the more you spend. If you wanted this job you wouldn't be asking us in the first place, you know it will suck.
    Besides, get a job with the city, you get 4 months off out of the year, between sick, vac, comp., personal and complain when ya gotta do real work, and make more than most around ya. ha ha ha ha

Bill

11. ... just say "NO" ...
    unless of course you would be doing a service that would change/help many people and place you in the pages of history ;)

12. All I know is I never heard an 80 year old man say, "I wish I had worked more when I was younger."

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

jack,if you have to ask that question,i think you already know the answer ;) :)

14. No No No No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Sounds like that job should be split into 2 positions that pay less. I can't imagine working that much unless there were extreme circumstances :confused:

I don't know you, but I would say it is a bad idea for both you and your family's overall health.

16. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Unless you have to have the money & only had to work for a few months or even a year like that and could go back to another job would I even consider it. Working that much might make you lose site of what's important, and then your whole life revolves around your job. No way would I do it permanently, but from where I'm sitting today, almost broke & in a jamb, I'd consider it for a month or two to get out of this hole I'm in. No way as a vocation. Sometimes people get so caught up working, they don't have time to make money....... There's probably some stuff you could do on the side to pick up some extra if necessary.
    Tough call, the money always looks good, but at what cost?

17. I learned the hard way that money isn't everything. My previous job I was making close to six figures and I was miserable-stress & little free time. Now I don't make anything close to that but I am so much happier. Remember we work to live, not live to work. It's your call, you have to decide what makes you happy. Good luck on your decision.

18. flathunter

Bill, are you saying I should get a job like Dip has? :D

19. catking

catking Banned

Hey Jack- I say do it. Here's why. You are a young man. With the kind of money you will be making, you can invest alot of it. You could retire alot sooner than now. It sounds stupid, but take it from an self -employed person who will be workin at age 90.......take the money. invest wisely, and fish the rest of your life after 55 or so ;) It will be here sooner than you think. Just my opinion. There are alot of things to sink some money in that will bring a good return. DO IT ;) From age 38-55 is when you are suppose to make the bulk of you money. 55 or so is not old. Think about that ;) WORK hard NOW, with one goal, to quit working younger................CATKING