close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Should I or Shouldnt I

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Ive been questioned on going up to the lake and braving the piers due to my back conditions. Ive thought about this long and hard. Due to my injury, and the extent of surgery the outcome could make me worse. Ive got the back of a 70 year old. 2 discs are ruptured, and lumbar spine has degenerative disc disease. So i sit here and think that i might be in a wheel chair. I could come out of surgery and have no feeling below my knees. Chances of this happening are 1 and 1,000,000.00 Well who knows, im not worried about that, but it sits in the back of my mind. I might come out of surgery and never be able to get back on a boat, or be able to walk a mile to get to the fishing spot. It kind of tough to deal with some times, there is just so much involved and so much at risk. So that is why im going to go up pier fishing. If it hurts well then ill sit in a chair and enjoy the lake, i dont care if i catch a fish, its just being up there that sooths the mind body, and soul. Something about that lake. Plus my fishing partner and brother are well aware of my current sittuation and will not let anything happen to me! Plus gives me a chance to think about grandpa who we lost last year that was laid to rest in the water!

Jason

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I live by the creed "go for it, you only live once". Hasn't always worked out great, but I have no regrets man. Just don't let the lake/fishing make ya stupid ;)

3. The pain medicine has already taken care of that!!

4. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

jason..or you can just come and sit with us..:D

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You have to do what you have to do. You are right about the outcome. You never know what will happen. I say go and make the best of it. Like you said the worse is you'll have to sit and enjoy the water in a chair. I can find lots of things worse than that. If you go have a blast. You'll be laid up after your operation and only wish you went. Be careful man.

6. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

tahoej, i see that i,m not alone, after 2 lower back surgeries and more procedures than i can remember i,m still in constant pain, i just had another mri and along with the 2 discs that are gone i have 2 others with a total of 5 bulges between them, i also have the severe degenritive disc decease and spinal stinosios ( spelling ) and 2 other problems that i can,t even spell, botton line is that after seeing the doctor monday he dosn,t even think that a back fusion will help me he said my back is one of the worse cases he has seen in 25 years, ( i am going for another opinion ) it will be the third, my fear is also i may end up in a wheelchair, i also have a very bad left knee that just dosn,t stop hurting no matter how much pain meds i take, the biggest bummer of all is looking out in the driveway everyday before i go to work ( yes i still try to work everyday ) and seeing my boat which hasn,t touched water since early this year and now winter time river walleye fishing is right around the corner.........i feel your pain and if you have any questions regarding your back just ask i have learned a lot since i have been in this condition which atarted in 1991 but in the past year has gotten really bad........ :cool:

7. My father was probably the best fisher, hunter I have ever known. He is now confined to a wheelchair. That has not stopped my dad. I take him to Lake Erie and load him on a boat.You should see the look on his face. He doesn't care if he catches anything or not. He is there and that is all that matters. Life sometimes deals you a bad hand, but you play the cards the best you can. Keep your chin op dude!

8. catking

catking Banned

Go sit with the carpers in Columbus Saturday ;) I might drive up for a little while also.............. CATKING :)

9. It looks like that will be the plan. Weather aint lookin to good this weekend. Calling for 12 footer again Friday, 40 knot gales from the wnw and that dont make fishing fun! Woman is getting her hair done Saturday morning, so i should be down there around 10:30-11:00. Ak get me some rods ready, ill bring my chair and some pain killers and chill for a while!! Ill bring the 5' croix and show you how we do it river style :cool:

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

blaah blah blah blaah..just show up first dooood..:D

11. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

don't be a wussy and let a little ol back effect you! hahahaha j/k

12. What, im not even going to waste my time typing. But you have no clue man

13. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i have a little idea i had strained my lumbar mucles a few years ago and havent ever felt pain like that i am sure yours is much worse :( but it comes back every now and then i just remember bending over to pick up a glove and having to crawl back into work through the slush and ice because i went straight down man that sucked so be carefull even the slightest motion or movement can make it worse and take care..................jim :D

14. BRIDGE AND PEER FISHING IS SOME OF THE BEST FALL FISHING MAN CAN ASK FOR. ALSO ONE OF THE COLDEST. LAST NIGHT I WENT TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE BRIDGES KNOWING THE TEMPS. WERE GOING DOWN. FISHED TILL MY FINGERS WOULDNT WORK. LOVED EVERY MINUTE! WIND CHILLS IN THE 30" S SENT FISH LOOKING FOR WARMER WATER IN A MATTER OF DAYS. LAST QUARTER I HAD TO TRY. ONLY A COUPLE SMALL EYES. ILL NOW NEXT TIME, DRESS WARMER, STAY LONGER! BECAREFUL AND ENJOY! JIG :) [​IMG]