close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

should I get a boat?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Jun 15, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I will be working alot of overtime the next couple monthes and finally will be able to afford a small boat to fish the scioto river, and paint creek..For years I have wanted a boat so I can get into areas I cant fish from the bank..I have been bankfishing for appx 35 years, never been in a boat..Now I am having doubts if it would even be worth it...For instance, you would have to worry about finding spots to put in, and take out the boat..Constant shallow riffles that the boat would have to be pulled through..And what if you cant get back upstream to where you put in at, and there is no place downstream to take the boat out..It seems like more of a pain than it would be worth..However it would be nice to take it out on small lakes, because you would not have those worrys...But I also want a new bigscreen tv, I wonder which I would like best?

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Boats are great i couldn't see myself not having one. But if you got a buddy with a boat that would take you out or let you use it then get the big screen LOL.

4. Well I got a boat this spring and have not even been able to use it yet so I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it or not! You say you are working a lot of over time so how much would you be able to use the boat? I work at least 55 hours a week and most of the time a lot more, 72 last week, and with a new baby at home I dont have much time to use a boat is my problem. The good thing about the boat I got was it was cheap so its not that big a deal to have it sitting, I would hate to have spent thousands of dollars on a boat and have it sitting. A good option for the creeks and rivers might be to find a used john boat, I have seen them in the paper for a few hundred bucks. That way if you dont have the time to use it or would just rather bank it you are not out much, plus you would not feel as bad dragging it across those shallow riffles. Plus get a chaep boat and you can still get the big screen and have all of us over of Ohio State games this fall, its a win win situation!:D

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yes, it is JAck, just think of the possibilities. Now heres my thing: the boat we have I regret having dad get it, I dont do that much lake fishing anymore., but a cheap rive rbaot, is def wort it. You'll have to have 2 people since you'd be hauling it to/from the not so easy to get to areas (like we saw those people carrying that boat by the death drop), so what I've found out is that it's real hard finding the exact type of small boat, I've seen them too small and 99% of them are too big for what youd probally want. The thing I'm not sure with is wheter you have to follow the same laws for bigger bats, such as having to have flotation devices on board, having to have at least one oar, since the boat would most likely have only a trolling motor, it wouldnt have to have a fire extenguisher, but would it if it had a very small outboard, say a 5 HP? Plus do those small boats such as Pelicians have titles? By the time you think of all that crap, it does make you question wheter or nots its worth it just for what your (and I am) wanting.

6. You do still have to have a title for a small boat, had to get one for the one I bought from tee. Are you guys wanting a boat to fish from or just to get to the spots you want to fish? If you dont really want to fish from the boat you might look into a canoe. I have one that is 14 feet long very wide and stable and can hauld a ton of gear and go through just a few inches of water. And you can pick one up brand new for about 400 bucks. Its perfect for small streams and creeks.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

when in doubt,just flip a coin,jack :D

8. H2O Mellon

I have thought about a nice canoe, it would be mainly to get from spot to spot, at least for me it would be, since I have dads Tarcker I can use anytime. Neither the great Flatlesshunter or I are excatly Olympic Swimmers though, how stable are the big wide canoes, I'd hatre to get into one & loose all my tackle!, but beleive me I have been thinking of it in the last few days, I've seen some where you can mount a trolling motor on the back of.

9. H2O Mellon

WOW! That canoe has a weight capacity of over 700 pounds! Thats way more than any small river boat I've seen.

10. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I just went to the BMV to get my new jon boat titled and they said since it was 10ft or less it did not need a title, just a state registration sticker. Just a heads up. Also flathunter, a lightweight jon would be ideal for your type of fishin. My buddy has one for sale here in Chillicothe for around 600 bucks with two trolling motors and a small gas motor with a trailer. he would probably take less. Flathunter X flatbottom = More Flatheads! My vote is for the boat. You can't catch any fish watching TV.

11. H2O Mellon

What about this one:HERE

it has the flat rear end so the trolling motor can go on, plus its rated for over 800 #!!! How would the trolling motor go on the other one?

12. My canoe is VERY stable. I have even had 3 guys in it that weighed about 660 pounds total plus fishing gear and cooler full of beer and didnt have any problems. I know typically when you think of a canoe you think of something that tips pretty easy but this canoe does not tip easy, it can still tip though;) .
    I have seen motor brackets you can get that fit on the back.

13. I cant see the one your are trying to show but have seen the ones with the flat back and that would be great for mounting a motor but they are usually bigger canoes and cost more. I liked mine cause it was cheap!

14. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Sounds like one of you guys could use my 14' flatbottem that I have yet to even get a chance to look at. It has a trailer and 6 hp motor plus trolling motor. I would rather trade it for some gear. Hate to hijack your thread but the more I was reading it the more I figure I should just let somebody that really needs one have it lol I bought it and was all pumped up to use it this spring and ended up getting 2 surgeries and can't do much with now. More times than not a small boat is fun to use and have but there are times when it just seems like a hassle to get it out.

15. I'm with ya chessie, got a boat and no time to use it!

16. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Really rubs it in doesn't it TT lol Just reminds me how much time I DON"T have to do what I want lol

17. No kidding man, I feel like all I do is work! Heck I'll have almost 40 hours in after today, wish I could work 40 and be done for the week.:D

18. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Go for it man, get yourself something small and mobile like many of the guys have already mentioned.

A friend of mine use to have a small boat that he used not for fishing out of, but for getting to areas where he could bank fish from, since it's very hard for us bankfisherman to find good access. Notice, how I said he "use to have a small boat," well he sold it a few years back and has regretted it since.

I say go for it!

19. Speaking of small boats I know what would have been the perfect boat but I dont think they make them anymore. When I was a kid my dad had a little boat that was made by Rubbermaid. It was white 8 foot long and must have been about 4 foot wide, it fit perfect in the back of the truck between the wheel wells and you could shut the tail gate. I have never seen another boat like it but he got it when he was a kid, probably about mid 60's and used it for duck hunting in the creeks and fishing and in small lakes all over the place. We put that thing through some real beatings. Finally about 5 or 6 years ago he had to through it away, it was plastic and the bottom was all cracked up. It was a great little boat and perfect for the creek. Anyone ever seen one before?