close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Short Shaft?????

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by JIG, Feb 14, 2005.

1. IM USING A 4 HP JOHNSON NEXT TO A 35 HP FOR A KICKER. ITS A GREAT OLDY BUT UNDER HIGH RPM SHELL TAKE OFF! I DONT THINK THE PROP IS LOW ENOUGH IN THE WATER AND AM WONDERING IF THERES A CHEAP CURE.
    DO THEY OFFER A BOTTOM MOUNT DEFLECTOR?
    THANKS FOR THE HELP! JIG :rolleyes: :cool:

2. I don't know what is considered a "cheap" cure but you could mount a jackplate that would drop you down provided it did not interfere with the clearance of the motor/tiller arm up top. I looked at them briefly myself for a motor whick I had. I ended up figuring it was cheaper to sell that motor and buying a long shaft motor.

I hope this helps.

3. IVE THOUGHT ABOUT IT BUT MOTORS ARENT CHEAP. YOUR RIGHT THE JACK WOULDNT WORK WITH THE UPPER HALF. PUTS ALL MAY CONTROLS BELOW THE BOAT. :( RIGHT NOW THE STEERINGS LINKED MAKING IT NICE BUT ITS NOT GOOD ON MY MOTOR! :eek: THE 35 HAS A FIN. WOULD IT HELP TO MAKE ONE FOR THE 4? TRIAL N ERROR! :)

4. I am far from an expert on this so hopefully someone else will chime in as well. But your idea of a fin would probably help some. Whether it would be enough on your setup is hard to determine. You hull design affects the flow of the water across the transom. If you are close to keeping the prop in the water at the desired RPM's then that option may work for you. I don't know if you could find a shaft extension kit for your motor or not. But that is another option. This one is not real cheap. And being that the motor is only a 4 HP you may end up spending as much in a shaft extension kit as you did on the motor. Your best option may still be if you can find a long shaft small motor to buy. You could sell the 4 HP and the overall cost probably would not be too bad.