short shaft motor on a long shaft boat?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by peple of the perch, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Is it ok to put a shor shaft motor ona boat that needs a long shaft? If I did do this would there be any damages to the motor?

2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

I had problems when I tried that on my old boat (your new boat). Seems like the intake wasn't always below the water and it didn't run real well at all.

3. just cut the transom to size.:D

4. Generally no-and it is also not good to put a long shaft motor on a short shaft transon either. What are the details-what type of boat, motor etc?

Jim

5. it was a short shaft 9.9. I took it our 2 or three times, It would rev alot on the waves.

6. Years ago we had a short-shaft 9.9 modified to a long-shaft. We will be using that motor this year as a kicker.

7. I would say that if it is revving a lot on wave it may not be pumping enough water through it to keep it cooled. You need to make sure that it is running water out the pee hole or you will certainly overheat the motor. If you run it at slow speeds you MIGHT be okay. Again it depends on the particular setup. If you are set on keeping that motor for the boat you may look into buying a bracket (most commonly referred to as jack plate) for it. They will allow for enough vertical travel to get the motor down where it needs to be. The real problem with this is that the jack plates are not cheap. You may likely end up spending more money than you would have by changing motors. Another option is to have a long shaft upgrade done to the motor that you have. This again can be quite costly. Personally what I would do if it was my boat and motor is that I would look to sell the motor and find a long shaft one to replace it. If you don't want to spend any money right now then you can continue to use it at slow speeds provided that it is pumping water.

8. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

You are getting a lot of cavitation (prop coming out of water). Water intake would be less, causing motor to run warmer than it should. You can buy a extension for it, not to difficult to install. I would check into it. Probably ebay. Here's a link.
    http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Accessories/acc8.htm

9. Or an adjustable bracket/mount to lower the motor when in use??

10. That is what I was referring to above. (jack plate)

I can't remember the exact amount that I was finding for the extension kits a few years ago but it seems to me that it was in the range of $150+. My thought on it then was "Why add that cost to this motor as opposed to selling this one and buying another?" I would be better off in the long run even if I spent $150 more for the new one. Besides I was not as confident in my ability to change it out myself. But I guess if one were to buy a kit and do it himself he could end up selling the old short shaft kit (presuming he can find a buyer) to offset some of the cost.

11. & you won't be able to go backwards hardly at all. That can be a real bummer if not hazardous.

That said, I used a short shaft for a kicker for several years. It was better than no kicker. My set-up rarely over-reved though.

Good Luck