close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shoreline ice?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Feb 8, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

has anyone noticed any bad or broken shoreline ice....i might be a little too cautious about it but thats how i fell in once.

wanting to go out maybe tonight or tomorrow....

generally speaking (!) i figure the ice is still ok in most parts but was wondering what you guys think or have observed. im only asking in general terms unless youve seen something specific and i and anyone who reads your response should understand that the ice could be very unpredictable near the shoreline now and for a few days until the cold nights come back no matter what anyone says.

im just wanting to get a feel for how the shoreline ice is holding up.

2. Hit a pond yesterday that had 9" of ice on Saturday and was down to about 7.5" yesterday. Shoreline adjacent to the bank was thin and in some case's erroded away from the shore. The all night rain will have certainly created additional ice loss. Be darn careful. Me, I'm off the ice on ponds that have a lot of sloped drainage entering them until and IF we get another deep freeze.

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thanks shortdrift, i appreciate your response. i think im gonna just hold off for a while...i hit it pretty hard there while i had the chance, so i have no desires to test my luck...

after tonight the nights look pretty good to tighten things up again and i hope there will still be a good bit of ice season left to enjoy.

i saw a few ponds earlier that had a lot of water on top and one pond did have a gap between the ice and shore, probably just from the rain i guess.

4. That's one reason why i have a 8', 2x12 in the back of my van. Use it as a bridge all the time. Make sure you drag it out onto the ice with you. It might not be there when you get back.