Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fishing from shore these days? Since I have no boat it's my only option. Don't need your exact location (just a general idea). If you're doing some shore fishing how's it been lately? Have the day off tomorrow and trying to decide where to go and what to target. Thanks for any input you have!

Reactions: ress

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resthaven pond 8 from shore has been decent last couple weeks for largemouth. I Havnt been out to the bay bridge for catfish myself but some guys I know have been doing really well there for em.
Thanks tubes!! Appreciate the intel! I think I'm going to hit the bay myself. Will let y'all know what happens. Everyone have a great weekend and wet some lines!

Reactions: AtticaFish

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I had a change of plans for last Friday and ended-up going a bit north instead of east to fish. Spent a few hours fishing the break wall at Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI. Got a late start also which may have limited my potential catch. However, overall a nice day to wet some lines in Lake Erie and enjoy the sun and breeze and catch a few fish. I mainly do C&R unless I catch something tasty! I had 2 static lines out with crawlers, figured I'd try to hook some nice big catfish just to enjoy the fight (and I did a couple of those), but was surprised to reel in a few nice perch as a bonus. Since the lines were so heavily weighted I never saw any movement when the perch ate the crawlers but during a "bait check", I saw the nice bandits I'd hooked! If I'd been fishing a lighter tackle and targeting perch, I might have been able to catch more. My guess is a school moved through and the 3 I caught all came at the same time basically. I actually had a large perch hit a shad swimbait and threw the hook about 15 feet from being landed. I estimate it to have been about 14 inches and a thick girth.

The 3 perch I did land were all males and while not overly big in length (longest was just under 11"), they were all thick and meaty! Fried those up with some gills and specs I had in the freezer and it was a great meal! Thought I'd throw in a pic of Mr. Whiskers while I was at it. He's back swimming Lk Erie for another fight another day. He was a strong little bugger about 18-20" and maybe 8+ lbs (for reference that net is my pier net for salmon fishing), put up a good fight too! Perch2.jpg Perch3.jpg Perch.jpg Catfish.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice yellow perch. I think your right about the weight. Wonder how many may have had it and possibily spit the hook. Good report.

Here is another shore option I always enjoyed. Plenty of places to walk and cast a line. Caught some nice largemouth, perch, crappie, and even one big walleye from the Maumee Bay Ponds.
Here is an aerial view of it.
Maumee Bay Aerial View

I'm also curious when you were fishing Sterling did you check out that pond behind the breakwall. I've never walked over there, but this aerial view it appears it might be fishable if fish are in it.
Sterling State Park Aerial View

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bigbass: Thanks for all your comments! The pond behind the break wall is not fishable, it's within a restricted area. I occasionally fish the lagoons in the park but never with much success other than when I'm ice fishing because I can get out to areas I can't reach from shore. Otherwise I usually just fish the wall. I find I have better success and more variety of fish. Never been skunked there, just some days better than others!

I've fished the Maumee Bay ponds a couple times but haven't done so in a long time. Might be a good idea to go back for my next outing! Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
A lot of people fish summit Street just over the line in michigan... people park.off the side if the road and fish the bridges quite often.. I personally do not because I am not licensed to fish in Michigan, and only do so from private marinas or private property.

There are also some state game type areas just over the border from toledo in Michigan,.. I know they don't see a lot of action and much of the area requires atleast some type of kayak or a trek thru some crazy ****, but there are a ton of spots.

I've seen nice hauls of bluegill from the creeks between Monroe and toledo.. if its not on someone's personal property, and there aren't any no fishing signs, all they can do is tell ya to leave! Just respect the land!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey Bigbass: Thanks for all your comments! The pond behind the break wall is not fishable, it's within a restricted area. I occasionally fish the lagoons in the park but never with much success other than when I'm ice fishing because I can get out to areas I can't reach from shore. Otherwise I usually just fish the wall. I find I have better success and more variety of fish. Never been skunked there, just some days better than others!

I've fished the Maumee Bay ponds a couple times but haven't done so in a long time. Might be a good idea to go back for my next outing! Thanks for the suggestion!!
Thanks for that bit of info. I've fished those channels out of my boat. It's difficult to get in there now with all the trees down in the outlet creek by the beach. I didn't know the channels can be decent for ice fishing. That is good to know. There is some deeper water in them for sure. Hit Maumee Bay early in the morning and late evening. Bite seems to be best before it gets too busy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bass! Good to know about the timing at MB. Next day off that may be my destination!

Reactions: bigbass201

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of people fish summit Street just over the line in michigan... people park.off the side if the road and fish the bridges quite often.. I personally do not because I am not licensed to fish in Michigan, and only do so from private marinas or private property.

There are also some state game type areas just over the border from toledo in Michigan,.. I know they don't see a lot of action and much of the area requires atleast some type of kayak or a trek thru some crazy ****, but there are a ton of spots.

I've seen nice hauls of bluegill from the creeks between Monroe and toledo.. if its not on someone's personal property, and there aren't any no fishing signs, all they can do is tell ya to leave! Just respect the land!
Hey Buckeye: I know the areas you're referring to. I have fished some of those and you're right, lot's of good gills if/when you can get back in to the areas where they hold. I wish I had a yak cuz that would be the best way to fish those areas. Lot's of places like that in the Erie flood plains and creeks between Toledo and Monroe. A yak is definitely the way to go for those spots. I know several guys that fish those areas with a yak or canoe and do very well. Good luck and tight lines! I appreciate everyone's input here. As a shore guy it's always nice to get other's input and ideas!

Reactions: bigbass201

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Well, I had a change of plans for last Friday and ended-up going a bit north instead of east to fish. Spent a few hours fishing the break wall at Sterling State Park in Monroe, MI. Got a late start also which may have limited my potential catch. However, overall a nice day to wet some lines in Lake Erie and enjoy the sun and breeze and catch a few fish. I mainly do C&R unless I catch something tasty! I had 2 static lines out with crawlers, figured I'd try to hook some nice big catfish just to enjoy the fight (and I did a couple of those), but was surprised to reel in a few nice perch as a bonus. Since the lines were so heavily weighted I never saw any movement when the perch ate the crawlers but during a "bait check", I saw the nice bandits I'd hooked! If I'd been fishing a lighter tackle and targeting perch, I might have been able to catch more. My guess is a school moved through and the 3 I caught all came at the same time basically. I actually had a large perch hit a shad swimbait and threw the hook about 15 feet from being landed. I estimate it to have been about 14 inches and a thick girth.

The 3 perch I did land were all males and while not overly big in length (longest was just under 11"), they were all thick and meaty! Fried those up with some gills and specs I had in the freezer and it was a great meal! Thought I'd throw in a pic of Mr. Whiskers while I was at it. He's back swimming Lk Erie for another fight another day. He was a strong little bugger about 18-20" and maybe 8+ lbs (for reference that net is my pier net for salmon fishing), put up a good fight too! View attachment 471067 View attachment 471068 View attachment 471066 View attachment 471073
Since the lines were so heavily weighted I never saw any movement .
if you like to fish heavy sinker and like to feel light bite,put on slip sinker,beed and 2' mono leader with hook.
cast,make your line tight,then pull 2' line down between last 2 eylets and put curtain clip on line.when fish tuoch your hook the clip is rising,the lead has no resistance line is sliping true whli fish is puling on that,you can sea every bite,it is most sensitive system.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Happy: Thanks for the info. I like the rig you're describing, will have to try it! I was actually fishing a static line with crawlers on the bottom for catfish that's why the heavier sinkers. So when the perch hit it never caused much if any rod movement. Definitely if I was targeting perch I'd use a lighter rig and would be holding or at least monitoring the rod more closely. Thanks again for the intel, much appreciated!!!!

Reactions: HappySnag
1 - 12 of 12 Posts