close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shore fishing on the Black river?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by danishmaggot, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Does anyone know any good shore spots at the Black river in Lorain County?

2. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

there are some nice little holes where i have caught smallmouth near the metropark east of ford road in elyria. i have been told that further upriver near cascade park has good spots too but i usually stay around the metropark area.

i havent had much time to really explore since its kinda far from cleveland but there are definitely fish in there. most of what i have caught in that area is 7 to 8 inches

3. Is it in the main metroparks you fish? And where specificly? I might go there tomorrow to check it out.

Thank you for the tip by the way :)

4. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

To add a little to Yanky's post. I've caught some big smallies and cats drifting minnows just downstream from the turnpike bridge pilings. Also downstream from there are a lot of deep holes that hold decent smallies.

5. Cool, how exactly do you get there? Is there any easy to get to public areas around there?

6. everytime i go fish there its muddier than all hell

7. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

what is the real name of the "black river"?

8. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

where i have been it is shallower but if you were do go down ford rd as if you were going to the metropark, there is a small bridge that goes over the black river once you pass the metropark entrance. this assumes you are coming from detroit rd. pull off and park on the side of the rd. then walk the bank on either side of the river east of that bridge and look for holes. there are a few decent areas once you get in a little ways, but still within sight of the bridge itself. i prefer to fish from the east bank of the river.

i may have to try the turnpike bridge area. sounds promising. definitely let us know the best way to get there wannabite!

9. I think I know what bridge you are talking about. Is it the one that barely has room for 2 cars when crossing?

10. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

yep thats it. after you cross it there are some little pulloffs where you can park on the side of the road. or you can park in the metropark and hike out but im always unsure of their definition of "dusk" which is when they close the gates and the park. i dont want to get locked in so i park on the road.

i would imagine that the river is pretty low right now as its been pretty dry lately. im not sure how this will affect things. when it evens out after rain its actually quite clear and slow moving, making for some good fishin in spots.

11. dont try to jump that bridge in a stepside truck either. it doesnt work trust me!!:p

12. We went there last night for a couple of hours. It was very nice and the water was pretty shallow. Saw a couple of smallies and a pretty big cat fish hanging out right by the shore. I think it saw us too because it was not really interrested in the bait right in front of it :p

Haha, I will keep that in mind if I should get that idea in my head.

13. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

That whole stretch from the bridge as far as you feel like walking has some deeper holes with some big cats and smallies in them.

And yes, you can jump it. Only once, though!

14. We went there again today and there definetely is some big fish there. Saw a school of 3-4 big ones swimming around. They didn't want to bite on anything i tried though, but it was awesome seeing them just hanging out near the top of the water.

15. not in a 81 ford f150 step side :p my buddy tried it with me riding shotgun. we were heading towards gulf road. we ended up with the truck sitting up ontop the gaurd rail. when the cops came we tried telling them a deer ran out in front of us. they didnt buy it. :confused: :p

16. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

you guys are so lucky that the truck didnt end up being cover for more fish.:p

17. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

the fish you saw were probably carp. they tend to school together from my experiences and there are some large ones in there that just slowly mosey their way around the river. usually near the top so their fins are sticking out. its an odd sight to see.

18. if you go to the mouth of the river on the rocks, about a week ago they were killing the white bass topwater. The whole area was full of baitfish right before dark and bass were busting them everwhere. The guys on shore were using a bobber and some kind of small topwater bait behind it. We sat and watched for a 20 mins. or so and it was non-stop action.