Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon and happy labor day,
I've recently come to this area and am looking to fish in the mentor area or surrounding now that I'm settled. Anyone have advice for this month? I'll be fishing from the shore using a pole I purchased from Dicks. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You can go to the Mentor Lagoons and fish near the boat launch or veterans pond. Skok park is off of 608 before the ski club and Girdled Rd Reservation is near there too. You can fish near the First Energy plant in Eastlake follow the road all the way back to the lake for public access. Then there's all the river access around here. Too much to list really, check the Lake Co Metroparks website for starters.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Welcome to the area and to OGF.

You're sitting on some great river fishin and plenty of fish are caught from the shore of Erie. Go to the state site and get the maps of the Chagrin and Grand Rivers. They will help you find public access parks for legal access. Besides smallies, cats, crappies those rivers get some Erie walleyes especially in the spring and steelhead trout from Oct-May when the river is open (not frozen). Steelhead can go 12-16lbs and are incredible fighting fish.

Watch the steelhead forum here for timing, reports, and methods.

Erie is a prime walleye fishery and people get them from shore in the spring, fall, and summer especially night fishin. Best from boat but some are caught from shore. Good shoreline access from the long and short walls at the mouth of the Grand river.

Good luck fishin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts