Shooting heads?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Janus, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Anyone using them? I have been messing around with them and the distance you can cast is outrageous..but I'm wondering if there is a practical use for them around these parts? I got interested in them when I took my 8wt down to Mexico and got molested by the surf with a floater and a 5ft sinking leader attached. Just couldnt get the casts out past the breaks it was a lesson in humility. With the heads it would be alot easier even in the wind but I don't see myself getting back to saltwater anytime soon so I just cast them on the grass and whisper "holy crap!"...
    Janus

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

They are great for big water,but,as you observe,not always practical around here. My place for them "locally" exists on the OR when I fish the dams in spring and fall as that's a place where distance really counts.but ya better take a basket cuz the rocks/rip-rap are brutal on the line. GMR is another place where I like to sling a large streamer,up in Dayton for saugeye in the fall or down toward the OR ,also in the fall, for hybrids.A type 6 sink works for most bigger water 'round here but an 8 is good on the OR.
    RIO also has their deep series and I was scratching bottom in 32 FOW on the OR this spring fishing from a boat.
    I've got a couple of the RIO Outbounds ,integrated shooting line and head and they are awesome as are the 24' sink tips weighted in grains,a 250 and 300 are my go-to's. I used them in AK and fished 20' of strong river depth effectively using those lines...best from a boat if yo got it cuz of all that line layng around can be difficult to manage in mid river or weeds on a bank. I like a reel w/ a good "bump factor"(hit the rim and it's spinning picks up all your slack line) to get tight to the reel ASAP after hookup,TC1

3. Thanks for the reply. I'm using LC-13 8' per second lead core and just bought an intermediate head that's coming. The lead core is at 23 feet because that's all tmy 8wt could handle 305 grains. But now I know what it can take. 300 grains in a longer head would be really much better for turning over flys. It's fun but, line management is a pain. I made a stripping basket out of a rubbermaid tub feels like I am doing laundry it really an adjustment. I might go out on Lake Erie and sling this If I can ever get out on a boat.
    Janus

4. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Get a spey rod! If you trying to get distance off shore then a long spey rod will get you much further with whole lot less effort.

5. When do you need to roll cast or single haul on the Lake Erie Tribs more than 35'? I see no reason to put out more than 35' of line on any trib yes it does happen but its not the norm IMHO. You will roll cast more than any other technique on the water. Ontario tribs are mostly roll casting, and single hauling. You can purchase all the rods you want, but in Ohio we have smaller tribs unless your fishing larger rivers and not true creeks! I responded to this to make ppl think, and no this is not an attack on you or your post. I merely did this to make ppl think outside the box!

6. Tall cool one

Tom,I think we're talking larger streams than the erie criks(not sure where ya got that from...?),stuff like the OR and Gmr where 35' is'nt even enough to get you into the drift,TC1

7. .lol...Woops I was thinking steelhead!..rol ...SORRY! Yea I now I see! I use a type 6 sinking line with a 6wt, and a stripping basket. With a proper dbl haul I can chuck out 100' of line and a little backing! With a spey rod I used to watch guys in Europe cast about 135' of line!

8. Well right on the erie tribs up north too much firepower. I think I'll save them for when I get out to salt again or they might work on Erie from the shore or out on the rocks.
    Janus

9. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Actually you can use the longer spey rod to your advantage by thinking other than spey casting with it. One example is high sticking nymphs thru out of reach pools where a normal single hander rod can't reach.

10. so how bout a switch rod for steelies, 11ft 5wt?
    back to shooting heads, I have never used one so forgive my lack of understanding, are you guys using shooting heads that are just 40 or so feet of head attached to a running line like mirage or do they have built in running lines. and the big question, tom if I'm at mehldal could I hit the first wall with one of these with that little backcast.?

11. First Gate yes, but after that you had better be 10' tall and get rid of the hill behind you .. lol... Now give me the dates for the trip up north..no better yet call me 513-646-6522!!!!

12. its up to steve now, I am off every weekend until jan. so whenever you head to cleveland and want a tag along I'll go. I'll talk to steve and we'll finalize it.

13. Tall cool one

My go-to rod for steelies for a long time was an 11"6wt sage that is a rollcasting machine but the new 12'6" z-axis 6 wt is what I use now.Excellent reach on those far runs that I like to highstick.
    RK,you might be able to hit the first gate but it'd probably take a two hander and a scandanavian style head to get it there.
    I have a whole collection of shooting heads dating back to the very early seventies that I pull out for their specific purposes as well as some of the new RIO integrated lines that are permanenetly affixed to a running line.The 250 and 300 gr bigboy 24' sinktips are awesome lines as are the deep 7 and outbound integrated( I use the latter in 330gr,what a dredger!).Sinking lines apparently hold up well in the long term as they are still good to go. I have loops on the back and I just tie directly on to the running line using a clinch knot.
    Tom,you know what my favorite stream is,got a report of steelies there in many of the lower pools. Probably all Pa's this early,I'm waiting till the Man;s come in,TC1

14. Wheew from what I'm hearing there are to many in there for this time of year and the water temps! Grrrr....