close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting fish with guns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Jun 24, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

As reported by Columbus' The Other Paper

"Fishermen using pistols, shotguns, and assault rifles are permitted on two U.S. lakes in Vermont and Virginia for a few weeks each spring to fire away at pike and several other species, according to a May report in The New York Times. Sportsmen aim just in front of their prey to kill by concussion because a direct hit renders the fish inedible. The relatively few shooters are so avid that attempts to ban the activity have gone nowhere."

I swear when I was in hunter's ed as a kid, they told us that firing at water is a big no-no because shot can ricochet at the right angle...regardless, pretty wild.

2. catking

catking Banned

I've heard it all now. I'm dumbfounded.............. C.K. :confused:

3. When we were kids we used to take our pellet guns down to the creek and shoot creek chubs.

Too bad I didn't know to catch em and use them for bait LOL

"Fishermen using..., and assault rifles"

Assault rifles?! Nothing like rippin off a few rounds with the SKS at some pike. lol

4. I recall seeing pictures of this type of "fishing"???. :confused: One of the sporting magazines published an article some years ago and noted that tree stands near or overhanging the water were a premium location. :rolleyes:
    Folding ladders were also used but sometimes the recoil of the gun would knock the shooter off balance and a wet butt was the result. :cool: The preferred gun was the 30/30 and the 30.06. It was noted that everyone was careful not to shoot at a low angle in order to avoid a richochet. :eek: To me, this was just another form of individuals that enjoyed killing something rather than putting forth the effort and skill required to take game and fish in a skillful way.

5. I like breathing too much to try that type of "fishing"! :eek:

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I can shoot at stuff when the snow starts to fly. It's time to wet a line right now!!

7. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

as a kid, I used my pellet gun to blast away at the bullfrogs in a family pond. Nothing like smackin a few frogs with some lead. As far as blasting fish with assault rifles, not my style, would much rather use a muzzleloader, would make me feel like it was more primitive....haha...

flash-------------------------------------------out

8. LOL I just had a visual of Davy crockett wading a creek with his coonskin cap, buckskin leggings rolled up and ole' Betsy shootin at catfish.

9. I had heard about this several years ago...
    They are keeping a tradition alive that by their culture and family back ground is as important to them as our long-lining is to us or deer hunters who use dogs are to them and spring turkey hunters who use rifles in states that allow it is to them and so on...
    As sportsmen we owe it to everyone in our ranks to not put them down or "shoot" down their way of doing things... Our happy hunting grounds are fragile enough without shooting ourselves in the foot now and then...
    would I shoot pike from a tree stand or anyway for that matter? No not for me but I won't stand in the way of a lawful person doing somethin ghis way either ;)
    My 2 cents...

10. I just wonder if the "traditional" method involved the use of an assault rifle.

11. I never saw where anyone used an "assault rifle"...
    That was someones post from here...
    I simply stated what I have read... :rolleyes: