close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ship to shore radio question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Hetfieldinn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

My ship to shore radio will switch to channel 16 (emergency channel) on its own every once in a while.

Anyone know why it might be doing this?

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

some radio's have a scan mode that switches to ch16 . check the buttons on your radio.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

If I'm understanding this correctly...whenever there's an emergency in the immediate broadcast area the coast guard has the ability to override your current channel to broadcast emergency information...(i.e. distressed boater in area, man over board, debris in water etc). After the broadcast, your radio should return to the original channel.
    If it does this on it's own without coast guard over-ride then maybe you have some other issue with the unit.
    So, does it switch back to the original channel after a broadcast and do you notice when it does switch that there is an emergency message from the CG...????

4. Mine did the same thing-switche to 16 when there wa a transmission on there. It did not switch back though-I found out my mistakenly making a broadcast (thinking I was on 79) Looks like I'll have to read the instructions

5. A faulty ground or power cord could cause this also.

6. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

Check the manual, and see if there is priority watch setting in the menu, or a button. If not read to see if it automatically goes to that channel during special emergencies. See what channel it has on if you disconnect power, and then reconnect power, and turn on. If it's "16", than you might have a powercord or connection issue.

7. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

When I end a days fishing, I turn all of my batteries off via a Perko switch.

The next time I go out, I turn the Perko switch on, and turn the radio on, and it's always on ch 16 when I do this, and I click it to 68, or 79, or whatever channel I monitor.

The radio is not equipped with an "emergency channel" button.

I remember last year I was fishing, and these two guys were keeping in contact, and every once in a while one of the guys couldn't hail his buddy, then he could, then he couldn't (you get the idea), and the one guy said his radio kept going to ch 16, and the other guy said it had to do with the power wire.

I'll check it before I go out again.

8. BornToFish

Your resetting the radio when you disconnect the power from it. Some have battery backup for memory, but yours may not. Just don't unhook power, and it won't reset everytime.

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I realize that the radio resets each time power is dicontinued. But the radio is going to ch 16 during the days fishing, even when I don't turn it off.

10. BornToFish

Sounds like a connection problem at powercord either into radio, or at battery switch. Also check fuselink, the clear plastic ones are poorly made, and sometimes create connection problems.Good Luck!