close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shining my boat up

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishingredhawk, Sep 27, 2005.

1. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

What is the best way to shine up my aluminum boat? The metal is dirty and i'm trying to fix the boat up a little. Thanks in advance.

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

the best way to shine it up would be to give it to me ! :D Or you could spend alot of time and scour it with steel wool or Aluminum polish .

3. fishingredhawk

Cool, I didn't know there was such thing as aluminum polish. Gracias Phil

4. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe (stcroixjoe)

Try an auto parts store or wal-mart they sell an aluminum polish by "mothers" It's in a small white container with a red label it works great!

5. Paul Anderson

Paul Anderson Logan's Dad

I'll second that motion for 'Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish'. That stuff is incredible.

6. I get my haul shiny by running it up on rocks in Canada and weld repaired on Ohio, but there's gotta be a better way!

7. You might concider shot or bead blasting. Somewhat like sand blasting but dosent remove so much material, just peens it. With this you have to watch not to work harden the aluminum.

8. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

All aluminum dulls over time as it oxidizes. However, the oxidized layer protects the metal under it so it never progresses further. If you wish to get that mirror finish, you'll need a polishing machine, a wool wheel and lots of Mothers Mag Polish. I did a 16' V-Hull years ago and used 8 tubs of the stuff. You need to follow the directions and it will bring up a great shine.

Once you do the boat, you'll need to wax to keep the oxygen away from the metal or it will get dull on you again.

DO NOT use steel wool. Tiny pieces can embed themselves in the aluminum and make a real rusty mess later on. I would try maybe some wet sanding with some 400 or 600 grit emory cloth if you really have a nasty spot. BUT, the Mothers will do a great job on smooth, dull metal.

UFM82

9. fishingredhawk

Thanks everyone. I washed it today and will get it nice and shiny this weekend