shiners,long term

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by brick, Sep 24, 2007.

1. brick

brick at ease

Anybody tried to keep shiners long term in an aquarium. Couldn't get any live ones the other day and was wondering if its possible to buy a few dozen on an off peak day and keep them in an aquarium/habitat for a few days and still be able to on the lake with them still alive. I have tried to buy them the day before i was going out and keeping them in an aerated bucket. Sometimes they live sometimes they don't.

I hate to get to the lake and not be able to get shiners. Almost feel like just going home.

Any thoughts

2. Simply freeze your leftover minnows. There are several methods that you can choose from. Do a search for Minnows or Freezing Minnows. I just freeze them in Borax.

3. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

I have a 55 gallon and they keep just fine. Some might die, but you should be OK.

4. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

They should be fine in an aquarium. I put one in our tank last january after an ice fishing trip, and its still in there. :D

5. We keep a 10 gallon aquarium in my fathers garage with just an aerator. Minnows have survived in it for several weeks being fed on flake fish food. The only problem you would run into is if the water gets too warm (they do not mind it if it gets cold. He freezes pop bottles and throws one in on warm days, this cools the water but does not add any water to the aquarium.

Scott

6. I kept some minnows in an aquarium for about 4 months and fed them regular fish flakes. They grew big fast and they were trying to spawn almost the whole time in there. But I guess they have a relatively short life cycle because they all of a sudden died off after being healthy all that long. They either bred themselves to death or they just have short lives.