close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shimano Baitrunner problem

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, Jun 21, 2004.

1. I’ve been using Shimano Baitrunners for several years with no problems. I have 4 of the older model baitrunners in various sizes. Last year I purchase 2 of the newer models. I have not used the newer reels a great deal, but have had a problem with the bail closing during the cast on both of the newer reels. Has anyone experienced problems with the newer style of baitrunners? Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?

Thanks!

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Common problem with the big Shimano reels.
    This is what actually is happening, when you put a huge cast on it with effort.........the crank handle moves(spins), causing the rotor to turn, engaging the automatic bail closer.
    The remedy is to remove the little leg (link) in the bail. There's a little cover there, where it attached to the rotor. Sometimes the spring & link are on the same side, sometimes one on each side, leave the spring alone, remove the link. I've seen this problem alot over the years with those reels, high end & low end too. That will fix the problem of it closing on the cast, now you have a "manual" reel which you must close the bail by hand, not a big problem for me, as I do it manually anyway on all my reels, easier than using them automatically and saves wear & tear on reels.
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks Jim! I took the reel apart, and two springs, a small silver pin, and few plastic parts exploded out on to the floor. I tried putting it back together without one of the plastic pieces (the one that links with the piece that attaches to the rotor). This did stop the automatic bail closer. However, the bail would not stay shut, and would slowly open when reeling. I tried putting it all back together, but I have no idea where the small silver pin goes. It is about 1/8th of an inch long and has a ball on one end. The good news is that without this pin, the automatic bail closer is VERY stiff. I took a few practice casts, and I think the problem is solved! I will give it a few trips, and if everything is still working, I will try to fin the pin on my other baitrunners.