close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

She's got a nice pair

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by LakeRaider, Jun 28, 2004.

1. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Twins- Counter rotating. Anybody guess the year? :) Raider<><>

Attached Files:

2. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

is soooo close. These are the famous direct reverse dockbusters. Keep guessing. :) Raider<><>

3. 1959 - the year I was born? And those are a nice pair! :)

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Fishtale 1960-1961 The famous dockbusters! Karl Kiekhaefer said the bigger motors would tear up reverse gears so he designed these motors to be quickley shutoff and re-fired in reverse. (thats right, the motors ran backwards) Some times they refired in forward and BAM! Dockbuster! Still the prettiest Mercs ever built. :cool: Raider<><>

Attached Files:

5. Raider,

Do you know if the counter rotation on the Dockbusters was due to a gear change in the lower unit or did the motors just run like heck in reverse with a CR prop?

I own two inline sixes (a '70 1350 and a '73 1500) and I read a bulletin board dedicated to them and I've never seen any mention of a counter rotating lower unit. If they were made they must have been rare. I recently saw a photo of an old boat with triples and they were all standard rotation. I've also seen an old b/w photo of a boat with 4 inline 6's. Major cool.

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Thats an interesting question for sure. I have no idea so I called Mark75H
    (Sam Baker) at Baker Marine to get an answer. Sam is the premier Merc. guru in the whole freakin' "Mercuniverse" . Answering machine. Dang! He's gone to Havasu. I,m workin' on it! :cool: Raider<><>

Attached Files: