Shenango Lake fish-together

Discussion in 'Trade-A-Trip - Share trip with another OGF member' started by chaunc, Sep 12, 2007.

1. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

This is an invitation for all OGF members to come over to Shenango lake, here in PA, to fish with the Keystone Crappie Association. We're going to fish from daylight til 1:00. Come in to have some lunch and get to know each other by sharing tips on whats working and give away a few prizes ( not like OGF does:( ) and go back out and use the tips we got. It will be held on October 6. If you need more info, check us out on the crappie.com, PA state message board.

2. Sounds like a good way for those that bought an annual license for ice fishing Presque Isle or the trout opener to get some additional use out of their investment.

you know me, if I can get caught up around the house and at work, I'll be out there somewhere. Where are you guys meeting at the campground ramp or over at Mahaney? I finally got out Sunday for the first time in about 3 weeks and would have had a pretty decent day if I wasn't so out of sync in the 2 hours or so I was there. Got a lot of hits tossing a jig/gulp up onto that spot I'm usually at, but only got one hookup with a catfish. If I was smart I would have stayed out there and practiced rather than going to be abused at Danny's watching the game. The fishing in the river at Sharpsville looks like it's picking up too. I seen a guy putting a big old stringer if fish in the back of his car with his minnow bucket when I drove by on my way to the ramp. Couldn't make out what he had, but the body color looked to either be catfish or walleye and one pike/musky based on the body shape. Not sure yet on a date for heading up to Erie. I've got Vickies birthday coming up and it wouldn't be good for the home life to blow her off to go fishing. :D You still launching out of Walnut creek/Erie or you running out of Conny/Ashtibula in Ohio?

Barry

3. I'm going to try and make this... I'll check the schedule after the FLW weekend is over.

Thanks for posting Kenny!

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Hey Carl, looky here. Lost one at the net too.
    [​IMG]
    Hope you can make it over on the 6th.

5. WOW! That's a weird looking crappie! (just kiddin'!)

NICE FISH!

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Is this better?
    [​IMG]

7. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

8. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Got these today. Hope we can get some OGF members to come over and crappie fish with us.
    [​IMG]

9. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

too bad i have to work saturday:mad: i'd love to meet a few more members and catch some of those "weird" looking crappie:p

10. Sorry Chaunc, I have the opportunity to hit Erie for perch and walleye with my son... He hasn't been up there yet this year and I want to get him into some perch and eyes...

We'll get together later this month...

Have a good outing and have fun!

11. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Okay. I'm going up to erie in the morning. Going perchin out of conneaut. Got enough crappies today to fill up the fishfry. They'll still be hittin later this month. Not as many as tuesday but bigger size.
    [​IMG]

12. Let's plan a day and I'll take the time off... They owe me a day anyway!

13. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Tough day saturday. Let's wait til the water cools down some. Much too hot for October. Water temps are still 73*. Lot of pleasure boats and bikinis still out there.:) We caught fish in 13ft over brush. None deeper or shallower and we had 14 boats out fishing/ communicating. I'll keep in touch.

14. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Hey Carl, pick a day during the week. Did pretty good yesterday on microspoons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. nice job on the crappies. Speaking of microspoons i got 16 of them for ten dollars. Now theres a deal. When was the last time anyone has ever paid 50 cents a spoon that wasnt on sale.

Hey chaunc, Do u think it would be a good idea if the maker of microspoons covered the spoon in rubber, like the kind used for plastic lures. It might make it feel more life like to the fish.

16. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

That would take away the action of the spoon. It flutters thru the water and thats whats gets the fish's attention. Dont worry about the paint wearing off. I've caught well over 200 fish on a single spoon (bluegill fishing) and the paint never even chipped. And at only .50 each, i'm not afraid to fish em in the brush. Geez... i sound like an informercial.:D They really catch fish tho.

17. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

We're gettin together again on Nov.10. So if you have that PA license that you bought to fish PI last ice season, grab a buddy and come fish with us. We launch at 7:30 or 8 and fish til 1:. Come in and eat, have a meeting, and award prizes for the biggest crappie, and try to recruit new members. The fishing is great this time of year here. Big Daddy came over today and fished this lake with me. Pretty good time today. We caught over 50 fish but only kept 31. All slabs with most close to 11"s or better. I'll add a picture later. You dont have to join the club to fish with us, so come over and enjoy the day.
    [​IMG]
    And this from last week
    [​IMG]

18. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

PM me if you need directions.

19. The fishing is GREAT over there... And from What Chaunc tells me, it's going to be a great time. I'm going to try and get back over there with Nick to get him into some slabs too!

I'll let you know for sure in a week or so.