close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shenango 10-27-04

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by "J", Oct 28, 2004.

1. "J"

"J"

Well I played hooky from work with one of my co-workers and we went to Shenango today, when we got to the ramp and saw all the docks had already been removed made it a little harder to get started but that wasn't that big of a deal. We went to the the first spot, and threw a spinner bait a buzz bait, and a tube with no luck, picked up a crank bait and threw it paralleling some rip rap, well thats when the fun began, in 1 hours time I caught 15 bass, 3 were over 4lbs, well we fished it for a total of 2 hours until the last pass we didn't hook a fish, went to the second spot more rip rap, and caught 5 more fish, nothing over 2 lbs, went to the third spot combination of rip rap and wood, started to throw a tube, caught 6 fish between 2 and 4 lbs, these fish were smacking the lures like it was their last meal, one of the 4 pounders came when I hooked a 12" smallie, i went to lift it into the boat and saw another larger flash by it, I threw a tube in next to the smallie that was on the crank bait, well it didn't take the tube but it took the crank bait and knocked the little fish off so I started with a 12" smallie and ended up with a 4 pounder, what a day I've only had one other day that was as good as this and it was about 6 years ago on Evans lake during the fall. All together I caught between 35 and 40 bass, 2 striper's and 1 northern, man wish I could play hooky tomorrow. I think I'm going back there this weekend "J"

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sounds like the type of day you dream of. Glad you enjoyed it.

3. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

J, i fished shenango that same day, only i fished from shore for crappies. I must admit, i fish this lake regularly, but this was the best day i've ever had from shore. Kept 23 slabs, 10 to 13 inches, and threw back 10 that were a little smaller. Did it all in 2 hrs. Went back the next day and only got 5 crappies and 2 bluegills. I must have cleaned that hole out. Taking the boat out saturday, weather permitting.

4. "J"

"J"

Where were you at, made it around the lake by the end of the day may have passed by at some point I was in the Gray Triton TR21, had a buddy from work with me. "J"

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I was on the southwest shoreline from the 846 bridge. Cant remember for sure but i may have seen you flying south down the lake around 5: I left at 5:30. Had enuff already.

6. "J"

"J"

Flying is right at 70 mph and the lake to myself it's a blast. Adding all those fish to the mix made it an outstanding day, most day's out there the boat traffic is bad but wed was a good day to be there.

7. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

It wasn't hard finding good spots to fish out of the wind. Took the boat out today. Fished 6 different spots and caught fish at every one. Caught at least 50 fish but only kept 18. Kept mostly bluegills but also some nice crappies. The last spot i fished was at the boat ramp at mahaney. I caught and released 10 bass in less than an hour. I got 4 smallies, 4 stripers, and 2 largemouth. All from the same spot. No big ones. Biggest was a 13" smallie. Goin back in the morning. Gonna try some top water lures. I got those fish on a crappie jig! :eek: :D