close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sheephead/hen of the woods?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hardwaterfan, Sep 7, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

has anyone found any yet? i want to get em young for a change. :D

2. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

I hunt them but rarely go out till oct 1st
    bttmline

3. fishon

fishon The Polish Bull

are you refering to hen as in turkeyS? i assume?

4. They are referring to a fungus or plant that grows in the fall. Here is a picture of one.

[​IMG]

5. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

that looks HORRID

6. I won't argue with you on that one. I have never eaten it myself but I would not be afraid to try it...but I would not be first and be the guinea pig.:p

7. fishon

fishon The Polish Bull

what is that for wacky mushrooms? or are thise cookin or what?

8. It is for ordinary people to eat.:D Here is a recipe that I found while getting the picture.

BigDumbHoosier's Hen-of-the-Woods Soup

9. peon

peon account delete

that looks like something i seen on a cheech and chong movie lol :D

10. hardwaterfan

lol :p

no, not like psylocibin mushrooms, these mushrooms make you go "mmm...." instead of "huhhuhuhwowdude..." ;) these are some forest treasure that my family has always eaten, my Mom used to make delicious soup from them. They are also good fried.

Just something special to me, you will only find them growing on OLD OLD OLD oak trees in the fall.

you have to get em early because all kinds of creepy critters like them too, and they get tough when they age.

11. hardwaterfan,

I had a bunch growing behind my house last year - thought that was what they were. Right at the base of big oaks. I was going to ask you how to cook them. The soup sounds awesome. Would venison work in it or was it a cream soup vs. a broth soup? So how soon do you want to get them after they show up?
    MA

12. hardwaterfan

lol i wonder if you live near me and thats your tree ive been visiting? :D jk this tree is in a park and its had plenty of sheepshead for the last few years.

Havent been to "my" tree yet, just curious if anyone else found any. My Dad has "his" trees too. :)

when you have a tree that produces, from what i understand and what i have seen, it will produce year after year, i suppose until the tree is dead. so a "fruiting" oak is a real good thing to have in your yard if you like mushrooms.

my Mom makes the soup so Ill have to get her recipe. Its a broth soup. Its almost like chicken soup (small noodles, some vegetables, etc.) but instead of chicken you use these mushroom peices. The soup has a very woodsy taste and is delicious. These mushrooms are not "strong" tasting at all. They are very good tasting.

I imagine you could add venison and I bet it would make an excellent soup. I bet barley would be good in it too. Man i havent eaten yet today so this talk is making me hungry.

When i fried some last year i just broke the "leaves" off the "stems" or "branches" and thoroughly cleaned them with water. Then i fried them in olive oil....very tasty. wife even liked them.

Ill email my Mom now and post her soup recipe when she replies.

I would feel irresponsible if i didnt mention that anyone who reads what i write, please if youre not sure about what mushroom youve found, dont eat it. I just found some poisonous mushrooms in my yard just this evening.

13. hardwaterfan

14. hardwaterfan

must be too warm and dry yet....nothing was found except for what i think were last years leftovers....im surprised the deer dont eat these(?). they seem to eat every dang thing else around here.

15. hardwaterfan

My Mom told me she couldnt write how to do it, she had to tell me, and she doesnt measure stuff...she just goes by all her years of experience....so this is all i have to offer...

Mushroom Soup

1. clean mushroom. (scrape, scrub, rinse)
    2. cut mushroom into approx. nickel size peices
    3. parboil (drop into boiling water for 3 mins. then drain)

in a 4 qt. pot:

4. sautee onions
    5. add sliced carrots, celery, mushrooms
    6. sautee everything until vegs. are soft
    7. add salt/pepper
    8. add 1 or 2 chicken bullion cubes
    9. add 1/2 cup water, continue stirring
    10. continue adding water until soup reaches desired consistency

before serving,

11. add cooked pasta (small squares or any tiny pasta)
    12. add some parsley if desired

my Dad said barley would be good. barley takes a long time to prepare i guess.

good luck, i hope someone can make some use out of this recipe. like i said, the soup should look just like chicken noodle soup but with mushrooms instead of chicken. my Mom didnt say this but i would boil it good to make sure its safe, all kinds of forest critters like these mushrooms.

good luck....

16. hardwaterfan

anytime. :)

check it out, i found one today! :D like clockwork....9-19 again, although this one is nice and fresh. i am going to try to make soup although i am going to use white rice instead of noodles.

On another note.....went walking in the woods up near the cleveland area....was stunned at all the variety of mushrooms sprouting! amazing....purple, orange, red, brown, white, all shapes too... i saw some boletes (a couple different kinds) and what might be chanterelle or false chanterelle, i think i saw a destroying angel that had a cap about 6" across! i wish i had my camera. the most striking thing i saw was an orange bracket fungi growing up the side of a tree.... its color was striped like a tiger (white/orange), it was really something to see...it was very bright and eye catching...it had maybe 15 brackets or so, it looked very fresh...needless to say i didnt pick anything, i dont know enough yet.

i came home all excited to look in my woods here, and there wasnt 1/100th the mushrooms....but lots of deer! :mad: i think they are eating anything they can put in their mouth. i cant beleive they wont eat sheephead or maybe they havent found it yet????

Attached Files:

17. hardwaterfan

this is what it looks like when its cleaned. its almost impossible to get it perfectly clean. just break it all apart, exposing all the nooks and crannies because its loaded with bugs. it will tear like a breast of chicken, kind of along its fibers.

the next step is to cut it up further and par boil it, the water is boiling now. ;)

then you can drain/rinse and freeze it in freezer bags until you want to use it. but you have to parboil it before you freeze it.

Attached Files:

18. hardwaterfan

Lucky day today, found 3 new trees that were fruiting! Now i have 4 trees to check every year. However the shrooms were all very well developed and the slugs got to the shrooms on 2 of the trees....im sure they feasted well.
    The last one was "leafed out" and was still pretty tender but not for long im sure.

Question for you guys with more experience, will there be a "second sprouting" or will the tree only produce one time per year?