close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sheds!

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Bassnpro1, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

My buddy(Meatwad) from Cincy drove up here to Columbus for some shed hunting and I managed to walk away with this guy. It is my biggest shed so far and sixth this year. I'm hoping to get to ten sheds!
    [​IMG]

2. Bassnpro1

Forgot to mention that this was the freshest shed I have ever found and prolly ever will find. It still had some juices on the base and the deer raked it on the little sapling there to knock it off. The wounds on the sapling were still oozing also. Couldn't have been more than 24 hours.

3. ..can't wait for the snow to go away I want to head out looking soon too...

4. Hey Kevin, did that come from you know where?????

Curious,as I have never found any nice ones like that there before. Have seena few large racks there still attached :)

5. Bassnpro1

no not that one. I haven't made a trip there yet, but as soon as this snow melts I will go back as I found one last year there. I know there has to be some good ones from some of the big rubs and sign I saw there last year. I will let you know how it goes.

6. When I was out fishing this weekend I was 20 yards from a buck that still had one horn on and the other was gone. I was just wondering if this is late for them to be shedding?

7. Onetime back in Pa during trout season a guy said he saw a real nice buck near the stream he was fishing... We all laughed and chided him some then the next year I was with a friend driving around and we came to a stop where you had to tuen either left or right and straight ahead in the lights were several bucks and does and this was early april... Guess it all depends but we both said that other guy must not have been pulling our legs...

8. I think a large factor in whether the bucks still have their antlers this late is whether or not the does have all been bred. In a normal deer density situation they rarely get missed more than a cycle or two. But in an extremely high doe density area there are times when that does not happen. Just a week or two ago someone was on here commenting about seeing a buck chasing a doe as if she was in heat.

There are other circumstances that affect the time they shed but the most natural cause is breeding cycle. I have been told that an injury can affect the shed cycle as well but i don't know how common that one is.

9. I like it.. when can I come and get it? [​IMG]

10. Bassnpro1

here it is again! I was excited to find this when out shed hunting.

[​IMG]

And here is casey's buck he found the next day

[​IMG]

11. Those are a couple of dandy bucks there. It is too bad both of those got left behind. I am sure the decay was too bad to determine the cause of death unless you were able to find an arrow in the pile. Were they far enough off the road to suspect they were shot? I would be pretty bummed if I winged one like that and it got away, let alone two like that in the same area. But I know it happens. Anyway, those were nice bucks.

12. Bassnpro1

I would have to guess a car injury. They were both around 400 yards from interstate 71. Mine was from this fall while casey's was from last fall. You can tell as his is really bleached out from sitting all summer.

13. Now you just need to put an arrow in one like that this year before he gets stupid and starts playing frogger on the interstate.:D

14. I went to the rodmakers shop today and at the off ramp at rt82 and 71 I saw a buck and a doe. The buck was standing and the doe bedded... He had a wide rack but it was not very huge maybe a 6 pt 8 at best... Point is he still had is rack fully intact...

15. Lotta nice deer over there, MetroParks run through there just north of the Rt82. Constantly see deer off the highway between 82 and 42. I haven't seen any deer with antler recently, but saw several a month ago with only one side.

16. Bassnpro1

Went out for the last time this year. I was hoping to get to ten sheds, but only found one more and ended the season with nine. Found a pair of antlers today that someone must have used as rattlin's horns, because they both were drilled through and had a wire running through them. I found one and my buddy spotted the other one. He also found another shed only four minutes later!

[​IMG]

17. Bassnpro1

here I am with both of them.

[​IMG]

18. Good find man...
    Why the last time this year? I have not even really went yet myself...

19. Bassnpro1

here is casey with his second shed of the day. A unique antler for sure!
    It was my last time, because I have finals this week and then I'm going to Florida for spring break. After that, i usually don't go after anymore sheds because they are normally chewed up real good and it is time to start fishing!

[​IMG]

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Man, those are some nice sheds. Good job.

Shane & I went lookign yesterday, but ended up empty handed.