close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shaun Rogers and Mangini

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Snakecharmer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. below is an article from MLive.com:
    Good luck, Eric Mangini. You're gonna need it.

Seems the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns has gotten himself in hot water with one player you don't want to be in hot water with – former Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

In fact, Rogers is rumored to be so miffed – that's right, I said "miffed" – he doesn't want the Browns to pick up his $6 million option-bonus he will have coming next month.

NFL.com, February 24: Some of Rogers' feelings stem back to two offseason incidents in which he believes Mangini disrespected him. The first time, Mangini walked into the Browns' training room and failed to say hello to Rogers. The next time, at a public charity function in which both men were in the green room, neither said hello to the other, and Mangini later said he didn't know Rogers was there.
    "Anytime someone new comes in, there's a process of getting to know that person," Mangini said Feb. 4. "I feel really comfortable with who I am and the things I do. I know that everything is done for a very specific reason and that is to give us the best chance to win. I feel really good about the relationships that I had in New York with the players there. I think that the things that they have said are things I feel really good about. I anticipate having those same types of relationships here."

What's with Mangini that he doesn't talk to his players? I know I'd be pissed if I got a new boss and he totally ignored me not once but twice. How can you not see a 400 # guy? I don't think Rogers will be around after the draft and with Mangini's attitude I don't see him lasting more than two years with the Browns. Thank God we have the Tribe and the Cavs...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Look at it from another angle, why didn't Rodgers approach Mangini? Rodgers is a big spoiled baby, and so are most of the other players in the Browns organization thanks to the Crennel years. I know Crennel only had Rodgers for a year, but Romeo was a lame duck coach after week 6 and the players knew that and took full advantage of it and him. Why couldn't he say "Hey coach, nice to meet you. I'm gonna be ready at camp"?

This just goes to show what an absolute wreck the Browns organazation is. Time to rebuild, AGAIN! We're still a month away from the draft and there's already a player/coach issue?

3. People need to cut Mangini some slack. No matter WHAT type management, when you're new at a place, you generally are pre-occupied & almost overwhelmed with what needs to be done quickly. SR needs to show up & play as hard as he did last year.....we can only hope.
    Mike

4. Thats the first thing I thought...maybe the man has alot on his mind.

5. WWWWW AAAAAAAAA ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :(:( Give me $6 mil and you won't have to talk to me forthe rest of my life... I'm sorry, but it just goes to prove that professional sports player are nothing more than over-paid spoiled brats... Haven't paid for a football or baseball game since the final game at the old stadium, and probably never will pay for one again.

6. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Dont forget...Shawn Rodgers nickname in Detroit was "Big Baby":Banane14:

7. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I warned you all two tears ago when Browns fans thought they hit the lottery.

8. I thought the same exact thing. Apparently Mr. Rodgers is too full of himself to think that he could initiate the communication. If that is the type of comments that Rodgers has running through his mug then who needs him? The Browns have plenty enough to deal with without having prima donnas with ego problems to deal with.

9. This is nothing new with Rogers. He's a beast on the field and a prima donna off of it. I'm not pinning any blame on Mangini. Rogers probably got wind of the fact that Mangini isn't the pushover that Crennel was and decided to act like an ass. However, either this situation gets resolved, or Rogers can sit on the bench. Releasing him is too large a cap hit. I'd be perfectly fine with giving him Marbury treatment.

10. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

Not to hijack this thread, but, along the same lines, has anyone else heard tht the current management is not really fond of Brady Quinn? I have had two conversations about this and am just wondering.:confused:

11. There's a story out there about the new guys not being completely sold on Quinn. It's a non-story. They shouldn't be sold on him. He has very little experience and they haven't even begun coaching him yet.

12. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I think both of these are non-stories. When football time comes nobody will be talking about this stuff. It will all be water under a bridge.

13. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I think there is a reason (beyond stupidity) that Detroit took what the did for Big Baby. What was that, a 3rd round pick and a 2nd string QB?

14. Leigh Bodden and a draft pick got us Rogers. The fact of the matter is that Rogers can flat out play, but he's a dick. Always has been.

15. In the perfect world I'd like the Browns to have talented players that are choir boys. The reality is we don't have talented players (or least they didn't show much under Romeo) so the few talented players can be jerks for all I care. I may have missed something but I didn't hear much about Rogers (or from Rogers) during the season outside of his stellar play between the lines and people commenting on his stamina. I did hear when he got him that he had a cry baby reputation but to be honest, I never heard of the guy before the trade. I don't follow the Lions and my interest in the Browns is dimisshing as time goes on. How long do we have to wait to get to the Super Bowl?
    Now Shaun Smith is a different story. From his show on TV and the articles about punching Quinn, he should be on a fast train out of town....

16. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I'm I was making the kind of $$$ Rodgers is making, I wouldn't care if the boss even knew my name or not!!

Pro athletes need a reality check real bad...

17. Latest news per Tony Rizzo....The Browns supposedly told Rogers he couldn't work out at their facilities unless he was under a certain weight. I can he trying to get him to lose some poundage it certainly could help his endurance and stamina. My question is, doesn't working out help you to lose or at least control your weight vs. not working out? I see the same thing Rogers sees. Bye Bye Cleveland...It would be nice if we can get a 2nd rounder for him. Maybe a team that think they're close to the superbowl will jump...Can you imagine if he goes to the Raven's....or maybe the Titans if they lose there guy....The Cowgirls also like players like him....

18. Rogers is a baby...he just needs to get over himself and play ball. I agree with the earlier opinions, Rogers should have approached Mangini and introduced himself to him. It makes him sound like he is too good to say hello to his head coach...his coach has to approach him...GET OVER YOURSELF...how is this helping the team?

19. Dont know who is right on this one but I do remember seeing him on more than one occasion on the bench in the 3rd and 4th qtrs while our defense was on the field sucking from the oxygen mask.

20. If they are trying to shut out rogers to get him into shape I think they are going at it all wrong. His endurance and stamina do need work but keeping him out of the browns gym seems like a dumb way to coax him into shedding some weight. I liked how good rogers was for his size, would like to see him in better shape and able to stay in more sets but I think he will use this as a way out instead of inspiration to slim down a bit.