Share Your - Chilli Recipes

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by KWILSON512, Aug 18, 2008.

1. The cool nights this past weekend got my mind going crazy for all things fall and when I think fall I think food. So where better to start then with everyone favorite chilli recipes. Feel free to share away.

Also if anyones interested in the possibility of a chilli contest at an event lets set the wheels in motion. It would be a nice addition and everyone could chip in for drinks/utensils.

2. Net's family style chili

3 lbs ground beef
    1 lb chorizo sausage
    1 pkg old el paso chili mix
    1 large spanish onion - chopped
    3 bell peppers - chopped (red,yellow,grn)
    4 cloves fresh garlic - minced
    1 can chopped tomatoes (fresh from the garden preferred)
    1 or 2 cans tomato sauce (depends on how "tomatoey" you like your chili)
    1 can mexican style kidney beans
    4 large potatoes - diced (my mom's secret ingredient)
    3 cups water

Brown & drain meat. Add chili mix to meat and blend well.
    Sauté vegetables separately in olive oil until soft. Combine with meat in a large stock pot.
    Add tomato sauce and enough water to achieve the desired consistency.
    Add kidney beans last and stir in gently.
    After bringing to a boil, simmer (covered) on low heat for 1.5 hrs. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.

3. 1+1+1 method
    1lb meat
    1 jar maters
    1 can beans
    If want a bigger batch just us 2+2+2 or 3+3+3
    I usually do 1lb hamburger and 1lb hot sausage. Any spice in the cabinet is fair game, chili powder, garlic powder are always in there. I always season the meat when I cook it also, usually some season salt. I have smoked the hamburger and sausage first then made chili, that was great. Really you cant go wrong, just start dumping spices in there and give a little taste. If you get too much of something you can drop in a peeled tater and let it cook for an hour or so and then take it out, it will soak up some of the salt or spices if you get too much in there.

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i have 2.
    one to make if women and children will be eating or,the other one for deer camp.it's called outhouse revenge!:D :D :D

5. Lets get that outdoor revenge recipe

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I'd share mine, but then I'd have to kill all of you.... ;)

7. here is a spin on an old Favorite..

I call it my Wing Chili

To cut down on fat or calories .. this a a great alternative..

1 pound of Ground Turkey
    1 pound of ground Chicken
    1/4 pound of Diced Pepperoni
    1 cup diced Sweet Onions
    1 cup diced Red Onions
    1/2 cup Chopped Green Onions
    1 cup Chopped Green peppers
    1 Cup Chopped Yellow peppers
    1 Cup chopped Red peppers
    2 Finely chopped cloves of fresh Garlic
    2 packets of McKormics Chicken Chili Mix
    Add enough Chili powder/ red pepper powder to taste.
    1/2 cup of chicken Broth
    1 small can of Tomato paste

Brown up the poultry.. with just one of the onions.. season as it browns up..

Add the diced pepperoni... and all veggies.. mix in the broth and paste..

once done should be kinda orange... scoop some into a bowl.. add a dolup of sour cream.. and sprinkle chopped green onions on top..

excellent with Pita chips!!

Frank

Enjoy!

8. Not so much a recipe but something to try , .... I put a can of hominy in my chilli sometimes .... it gives interesting texture and flavor. Can be used with or instead of beans , for those who dont do beans. I like the tortilla chip flavor it adds to the chilli but with a smooth almost bean-like texture.

9. I made some chilli this past weekend and cubed a couple green tomatoes, put them in and let them cook down with the rest of the ingredients and it was really good, added a little tartness and didnt need to add as much salt.

10. 1 Lb ground beef
    1 Lb Bob Evans Hot sausage
    1 small onion diced
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 1/2 packs of red McCormicks red chili seasoning
    2 cans Brooks hot chili beans
    1 can tomato soup
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 jar jalepenos drained and diced
    salt pepper, a healthy dose of cayenne pepper, and whatever other spices you like
    1 can beer
    2 beef bullion cubes
    Brown beef and sausage with onion and garlic. Drain grease. Add everything else. Cook down to desired consistency. Mine usually cooks for a couple hours stirring frequently. Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips

11. Here is my favorite super hot chili recipe:
    Caution Very Freakin Hot

2lb chicken breast
    2 vidallia onions diced
    1 pk green onions
    4 cans Canneille(sp) beans
    1# of jalapenos
    20-25 habeneros
    10 serranos
    3 -5 Poblanos
    Salt & Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    7 garlic cloves

Cut chicken into 1"x1" chunks, put S and P and Garlic powder to taste. Put in zip lock bag and shake up ( coat) let sit for 2 hrs.

clean and cut the tops off of the peppers. (get the insides out if you like i leave in), Put in food processor with garlic cloves, puree. Put in sauce pan with 4-6oz of beer. simmer till reduced 1/4th.

Sautee onions in Stock pot with oil, butter, marg (your choice, Ive used all 3) untill soft and clear. Remove from pan

Brown ( lightly ) chicken in same pan. Then add onions, and pepper puree. Simmer for 30-45 min and beans ( the liquid they come in as well) simmer to desired thickness. I usually cook for 3-4 hrs stirring as needed to not burn on the bottom

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  12. Sounds good, but I don't think my butt could handle that the next morning

13. my secret ingredient is using real chicken broth. Not from a can or bag or cube but take chicken bones from a fryer chicken and boil them in water. boil them until you get your 1 or 2 cups of broth.

14. marcbodi

marcbodi junior member

Hi,
    I know that this is about Chili but I have a idea about using Chili instead of Spagetti Sauce when I make Lasanga next time.What do you think of that.

15. Chili in lasagna is a sin, but it probably doesn't taste bad.

Those of you who are chili nuts out there - try this - make it like your normally would, only when you go to brown your ground beef, dice a medium priced steak and add that to the meat. The combination of the very small pieces (notice I said dice, not cube) of steak and the ground beef take the chili over the top.

Also - if you like chili with decent kick that doesn't make it hard to sit the next morning, add an entire bottle of Jim Beam hot sauce (just leave out an equivalent amount of other liquids).

16. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Holy crap, are you making chili, or pepper spray formula LOL. That sounds hot as heck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  17. 2 tbl olive oil
    2lbs. sirloin steak
    1/2 pound beef
    12 ounce Chorizo sausage casing off
    1 large yellow onion diced
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tbl garlic salt
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp dried basil
    2 cans beef broth
    2 cans whole tomato drained
    1 cup cilantro chopped
    1 cinamon stick
    3 bay leaves
    2 jalepenos diced
    1 tbl yellow cornmeal
    salt and pepper to taste

To make: Olive oil in large pot on medium heat.
    Brown sirloin and remove
    Add beef, chorizo, onions and brown. Make sure to break up the
    meat.
    Return the sirloin and stir in all the other ingredients, bring to a boil
    than reduce the heat and simmer until done.

18. Worm Man...I could not agree with you more on the Sirloin. You have not had chilli until made with Sirloin!

19. Thought I'd share my recipe.
    Takes about 1 hour to prepare (not cook, just chopping stuff up and rinsing)
    Takes about 2-3 hours to simmer

IT ALWAYS TASTES BETTER THE NEXT DAY, ALWAYS! lol

2lbs ground beef chuck 90/10 (meat to fat ratio)
    2 cans dark red kidney beans
    1 can pinto beans
    3 big cans of HUNTS tomato sauce
    1-2 tomatoes (I recommend 2 for first timers, I'll explain why)
    1 large yellow onion
    1 medium white onion
    1 green bell pepper (optional)
    1 red bell pepper (option)

SPICES
    (I used McCormick's brand over the other stuff)

Red Cayenne Pepper
    Cumin
    Hot Mexican Style Chili Powder
    Salt and Pepper

Now be sure to rinse all the vegetables and rinse out the beans from the cans. chop up the vegetables to your liking. I usually do small dices. DO NOT USE THE TOMATOES TIL THE END.

You will need a large pan and a large pot

Start by browning the meat. Before the meat is all the way brown add in the chopped onions/bell peppers. Add in about 2 pinches of salt and some ground pepper. After the meat is browned completely...drain and pour the meat and veggies into the large pot.

Add in the tomato sauce and beans into the pot. and give it a good stir.

Add enough cumin to barely cover the surface of your pot. You still stir fairly often to keep it cooking faster.

Add in the chili powder. You want enough chili powder to cover the surface. Do this 2 times.

Take a taste test to see if you have over powered any spices. IF SO add in the diced tomatoes to balance it out.

Cook all of this on HIGH heat until you reach the simmer step. (coming up)

When your pot begins to boil keep stirring and set your stove top to low-med heat and cover to allow it to simmer. At this point add in as much red cayenne pepper as you want.

Stir every 10-15 min for an 1.5-hours and it should be done.

Serve with FINELY shredded cheese of your choice, some hot sauce, cold beer or other carbonated beverage.

Goes well with
    Hotdogs
    Pasta
    Rice
    nachos