close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shanty lighting option and Ice screws.......

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by 1977 walleye guy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. 1977 walleye guy

1977 walleye guy Addicted Outdoorsman

I just picked up a neat little light for the shanty. Here's a link to what it is,looks like. http://www.batteryjunction.com/ufoledcaliwi.html
    I got mine off E-bay for $8 shipped.
    It's got a neat center hanger just perfect for hanging in the shanty. It's pretty bright too.

Secondly, do any of you use a climbers ice screw for a shanty anchor?
    With everything i've read on them, It seems like the best answer. They are a little pricey thou.

2. I have heard good things about the ice climbing screws for anchors also. I have gotten by either leaving the shanty hooked to the quad or drilling an extra hole and slushing the sled in good before I set it up. If you slush it in you need to carry something to bust it loose, a spud or small prybar.

3. bassmastermjb

bassmastermjb The Lucky One

You can save yourself some money and just go to the hardware store and buy some lag bolts.They'll screw right into the ice with a drill.........Mark

4. nice looking light. as far as ice screws i use the T-handle ones made by shapell they go for $3.99 for two just hold them on the heater until nice and hot and screw them right through the floor of my dx300. works great and remove fast.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Hey Capt S, you got a link for them? I'd like to get a couple.

6. just go to shapell.com and then to the parts $3.99 a pair.

7. Not trying to rain on your parade here but. Cold weather really drags batteries down fast. Dry cells seem to really go fast. I tried using 2 6 volt dry cells hooked in series for the first time I used a fishfinder on ice. It lasted less than 2 hours. Since it uses 4 drycells ( the light ) that means it runs on 6 Vdc. I would try to find a rechargeable 6V gel cell. Or you could run two of these lights in series off a 12V battery.

8. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

For anchors, I bought some "steps" that you screw into a tree for like $1.49 each at WalMart.(at the moment, the proper name escapes me) But they are heavy duty and I trust they'll hold up fine. I never thought about heating them up first....that should be a tip added to the "ice fishing tips" on the top of this page, if it hasn't been added already!!

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

looks good, id give it a shot and see how long they last. i have this LED headlamp i got a couple years ago, bright as heck. about 3 years ago. i use it every time i ice fish (when it gets dark) but its not on all the time. i bought a bunch of batteries for it, but i have yet to change the batteries. (i keep a spare set in my tackle bag) LED lights are pretty amazing. if it works out for you id consider getting some rechargeables and a charger.

10. 1977 walleye guy

1977 walleye guy Addicted Outdoorsman

Come on guys.....your telling me That you would rather A: carry a drill around with you to put lags in, B: Those t-handles ( i've had some just like them) which are a pain in the arse to start or C: use your pinkie finger to put in a couple of anchors in seconds?

I think I'm gonna drop the change on a pair......If i'm wrong.....well at least one of us will have had exp. with them then LOL!!!