Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fish Fishing Bass Cod Recreation
Jaw Mouth Fish
Fish Recreational fishing Fishing Fish Jigging
Jaw Mouth Fish
Fish Recreational fishing Fishing Fish Jigging

Originally we had planned on going out of Avon for steelhead but with the NE winds I was worried it'd be rough so last night decided just to go to Cleveland instead . Ended up being really calm . Go figure .
I hadn't been on Erie but once in the last month so I wasn't sure what I wanted to do .
I've been having alot of fun casting shiver minnows this yr . So even tho it seemed like the bite was out deep my guest and I started in shallow . My first cast was a drum . But my 3rd was a walleye.

We bounced around and by 915 had our 2 man limit of eyes on the livewell .

We fun fished for awhile longer and released a few more . Also caught 30 plus drum myself . I don't mind catching them when I'm fishing with a spinning rod casting like we were. Good times.

My buddy who'd never fished this way before took a bit to get rolling but by the end he was catching fish good and caught a good number of eyes .

Fished 16-20 fow .

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve done ALOT of smallies in PA (North East) and NY (Dunkirk). Blades and jiggin raps. Never a steelie but a brown trout one time. If you hit it right in April out of North East, PA you can catch Lakers until your arms hurt.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve done ALOT of smallies in PA (North East) and NY (Dunkirk). Blades and jiggin raps. Never a steelie but a brown trout one time. If you hit it right in April out of North East, PA you can catch Lakers until your arms hurt.
I've wanted to come over that way and Target Lakers I the spring . Just a bit of a drive . Might hafta try it next spring .

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems like a decent amount of interest . There's a ton of YouTube videos that explain it well but I'll post a few things I've learned .

Use braid with a 15-20# flouro leader

Give it a good lift . But give it slack at the top of the lift . Reel down quick and get contact so you can feel it as it hits bottom. Keep a little slack tho. Watch your line . Alot of the walleye hit as it's almost to bottom. You'll feel a sharp tick....or see the line jump . Many times they'll miss it several times before they get it . If they miss it just keep up the cadence . Slowing down doesn't trigger strikes. I sometimes give it a shorter lift after I miss one . But keep up the fast action.

Alot of fish are just there on the lift . As you lift and feel weight just reel down tight and maintain pressure . The drum almost always are just there.

Cast a good ways out . I seem to get more fish on the first half of the cast . I think the glide action triggers better than a lifting , hopping action closer to the boat .

If a walleye is in shallow this time of yr , it's there to eat . So even tho they aren't stacked , the ones that are there are feeding .

If there's much wind fish straight downwind or upwind . It's tough maintaining feel with a bow in your line from wind .

Fish some sort of contour or structure .

Do a slow drift till you catch one . Then spot lock and work that area .

If you catch a few then the spot goes dead reposition a cast away and keep fishing . For a bit .

I'm sure I'm missing stuff . Bit these are a few things I've learned trying to fish this technique this year .

Good luck .

·
Registered
667 Posts
Seems like a decent amount of interest . There's a ton of YouTube videos that explain it well but I'll post a few things I've learned .

Use braid with a 15-20# flouro leader

Give it a good lift . But give it slack at the top of the lift . Reel down quick and get contact so you can feel it as it hits bottom. Keep a little slack tho. Watch your line . Alot of the walleye hit as it's almost to bottom. You'll feel a sharp tick....or see the line jump . Many times they'll miss it several times before they get it . If they miss it just keep up the cadence . Slowing down doesn't trigger strikes. I sometimes give it a shorter lift after I miss one . But keep up the fast action.

Alot of fish are just there on the lift . As you lift and feel weight just reel down tight and maintain pressure . The drum almost always are just there.

Cast a good ways out . I seem to get more fish on the first half of the cast . I think the glide action triggers better than a lifting , hopping action closer to the boat .

If a walleye is in shallow this time of yr , it's there to eat . So even tho they aren't stacked , the ones that are there are feeding .

If there's much wind fish straight downwind or upwind . It's tough maintaining feel with a bow in your line from wind .

Fish some sort of contour or structure .

Do a slow drift till you catch one . Then spot lock and work that area .

If you catch a few then the spot goes dead reposition a cast away and keep fishing . For a bit .

I'm sure I'm missing stuff . Bit these are a few things I've learned trying to fish this technique this year .

Good luck .
See you were out of Avon so over where it is colder. Assume those fish are coming from deep water to feed. Would this work in Western Basin this time of year where you have larger stretch of 16-20 foot of water and warmer water?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts