Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been out in over a month due to family events work and bad weather. Looks like Sat is going to be nice and I can finally get out. I'm looking at launching at Wildwood and trolling for some eyes early morning. I checked the reports on the Popeye and they have been fishing really DEEP. I have a smaller boat and don't want to venture out that far. Anyone having any luck in shallower water like 50'-65'? Any tips on a good starting point and presentation would really be helpful, still trying to get my first eye of the year. Oh I'll be trolling 4 rods with dipsys & spoons. Thanks in advance.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I would head out on 330*. Shortest distance to deep water on that line. Stop at 60' look around with your finder, if nothing go to 65', repeat. Go as far as your comfortable with. I am not making the long runs anymore, staying in tight. But if your set up is dipsy-spoon, than you just got to make the run. Might be less of a run out of Lorain. Figure at the very least a 10 mile run.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Fished off Gordon Park Monday out to 52 fow. Marks were poor and ended with one eye. Seems around Cleve ya have to get to 60+ fow.

Found some eyes last fri off Lorain in 34/15 area. Thats maybe 7-8 miles from Hot Waters.

Good luck...be safe out there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I would go out of lorain but I don't have the time to trailer there and then make that run. I'm fine going 10 miles out if the lake forecast stays the same till sat. I figured I can get in the 60'-65' range going 8 miles or so out of Wildwood. If I don't run spoons I would have to run double willow harnesses off of dipsys since this is my first year trolling and don't have the whole arsenal yet. It's also tough for my boat to go under 2 mph until I get some bags. Whats your thoughts about running 2 spoons and 2 double willows between 2.0 & 2.7 mph in that depth?

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
find some shallow water structure 16 t0 30 fow and you will find walleye all summer long. there are a few humps next to dike 14 by 72 street that will hold eyes. but heavy boat traffic or jetkis will put the kybosh on that. early morning or late afternoon is best. east of wildwood by the point has structure .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tried 18-25, and then 25 to 40 fow east of wildwood (around the point) for 1.5 hours on Monday evening. Spread top to bottom, in-line harnesses off planers, off dipseys, and a crank. No luck there, but I didn't stay long before heading off to 61 to 63 fow for 2 more hours after dark. Marked fish at 50ft down, but could not get them to hit. Also tried a shallow rig, about 12-15 ft down, but only got ripped off once. Again, mostly harnesses and one crank.

Anyone else have any luck lately w/in 65 fow? I'm starting to think about making the BIG (for me) trek this Saturday if it's somewhat calm.

·
Registered
220 Posts
find some shallow water structure 16 t0 30 fow and you will find walleye all summer long. there are a few humps next to dike 14 by 72 street that will hold eyes. but heavy boat traffic or jetkis will put the kybosh on that. early morning or late afternoon is best. east of wildwood by the point has structure .
Oh, and thanks for the tip about dike 14 freyedknot.
Alan

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
i fished some skinny water last evening west of cleveland and it was loaded with white perch and some very small ones too. maybe early morning would be best.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've tried the 62-65 FOW area due north of Wildwood (8-10 miles) as well as shallow off the coast repeatedly for about 3 weeks now. Not to burst your bubble but all the consistant main action seems to be either at a honey hole in shinny water (the location usually beholden only to the queen bee) OR VERY, deep...as in can you say AYE? This is verified by numerous paid charters, like Popeye if you listen to traffic.

My 2 cents...:)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I seen the last time the Popeye went out they were in like 73-77 fow. Not sure how fast that boat is but with that run it doesn't seem like they would have that much time to fish. Well were gonna try a few spots and see what we can pick up. Anyone going to be out Sat. morning If so give me a shout on 68 and good luck.

·
3,317 Posts
The popeye cruises about 22 mph. About an hour and 1/2 to 1-40 min run to the 80' area.
8 hr trip.
I make it in 35-40 min if the lake is right, just cruising :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought that charter was only 5 hours. Thats about how long I figured it would take for that run, how many miles out is that far of a run? They have really been doing good out there on the steelhead too.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah I seen the last time the Popeye went out they were in like 73-77 fow. Not sure how fast that boat is but with that run it doesn't seem like they would have that much time to fish. Well were gonna try a few spots and see what we can pick up. Anyone going to be out Sat. morning If so give me a shout on 68 and good luck.
I'll be out of Wildwood Saturday, just not sure where yet. I'll keep 68 on and give a shout if I hook up. Just a handheld though, so my range isn't too good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts