Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats the story guys? What makes one fishing line better than another? Shakespeare Omniflex comes in all different pound test and usually retails for less than $2.00 Stren and Trilene also come in different pound test and they usually cost anywhere from $6.00 to $10.00 or sometimes even more than that, the higher pound test that you goes. What merits the price increase? Is the extra money really worth it? Is Shakespeare Omniflex a bad line? I really hope that I bunch of you guys weigh in on this one. As far as the superlines go (braided, spiderwire, fireline) thats a different story, I'm just talking straight up monofilament here. Thanks in advance.......TightLines!

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
A couple years ago when I lost my job I had to use the shakespere omni flex line, it was all I could afford... And to tell you the truth I had no problems with the line at all, other than the heavy 30-lb test was a little more stiff than trilene..I have been told the cheaper lines may have weak spots in them but I sure never found any..I now use trilene big game which is still a inexpensive line..But would have no problems using the omni flex if I had to..However, my style of fishing Cats and Carp does not require alot of casting, so for someone who bass fishes and such this line may not work well???

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I have found out that that stuff is hard to tie, but thats w/ the heavy stuff 15lbs test and up. I like using the thinest line I can, some fibers are more abrasian resistant, I would have to check the diameter on each & all that. You can also do your own test, tie a block to each line, run the line over the endge od some conrete blocks, etc....

I'd be surprised if the cheaper stuff held up as well, BUT.... I think JAck is right on the money, something like Big Game line is cheap & I ahve never had any problems w/ it.

I use that Red Cajun line & its made by Shakesphere. I like it becasue it is invisible in water plus its pretty cheap, I buy it for $8.00 & thats usually on spools of 2000-15000 depending on what size test you buy.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Oh, a couple more things, I dont cast out much either, but I do fish some extremely tough bottoms, as any GMR guy will tell ya, if your line can handle the GMR it can handle anywhere.

We could also say, whats worng w/ a Zebco 33. Shoot, we could land a 20 lb fish w/ one, right? I think it all comes down to always wanting something better. I cant tell you how mnay rods/reels that I ahve that get used less than 3 times each year, why do I even have them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts