Shafted-OSU Alumni Tickets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cheezemm2, Aug 22, 2007.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Was signed up and ready to go to the Northwestern game this year...Have gotten tickets previously with no problem, but received the letter in the mail today:(

Big 10 Network, no alumni tickets, ESPNU last year....I don't know how much more I can take!

I'll always bleed scarlet and gray but I think it's time to turn on the radio and fish instead of watching TV on Saturday:S

2. duckman

duckman Dr Data

I did not get my alumni tickets either.... nor did my brother or wife... guess the check wasn't big enough :)

It just struck me how much money that is sitting in their account waiting to be returned accruing income for them.... Nice! (Insert sarcasm here!)

3. They sure are making it easier to find other things to do on Saturdays...

4. cheezemm2

There's a couple things bothering me......

1) On hangonsloopy.com there is a post that says there will most likely not be a public ticket sale this year. I find that very hard to believe with some of our initial games this year. (I could always buy tickets outside of alumni tickets for family/friends)

2) I received an email from Fisher College of Business (same day as no alumni tickets available snail mail) for tickets to the Akron game at face value, plus an additional $29 per ticket for pre-game party. Sounds to me that alumni events where additional fees could be added in make up a large portion of their shortage.

Don't worry, I'm just bitter and making up conspiracy theories, but as a business I can't blame them. Their pocket is red hot and they're making $.

Still a Bucks fan through and through!:D (climbs down from soapbox)

5. Just wait until they find out that they can make money showing the games as a pay per view event!

6. "but as a business I can't blame them. Their pocket is red hot and they're making $."

Some college sports are becoming as overpriced as professional. When people stop paying the premium....they will stop charging it.

It isn't going to get better any time soon.

Put your spare change in fishing gear or a boat.....you'll still have it next year.

7. Are you guys that are getting rejection letters lifetime members of the alumni association??

Just curious as my game is Michigan State, so I won't know anything for awhile. I have never gotten a rejection letter for my alumni tickets. I did get a letter switching my tickets one year, but it went from a non-conference sleeper to Penn State so I was pleased!

8. cheezemm2

I have never not paid my yearly dues, but did not do lifetime membership...I'm guessing you'll be just fine!

Since I'm still on the lower bracket (3rd year out) and on a smaller fee schedule, I would think longer term, higher paying members should be ok!

I hope you get your tickets! Please keep us informed!

9. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I am not a bucks fan but this is going to really turn the normal fan off.
    i hope someone steps in and starts regulating in some way.

10. duckman

duckman Dr Data

I know what it is ... I know what it is ... the price of GAS! ... lol ,,, figured everything else is because of the price of a barrel of oil why not alumni tickets

Just a yearly standard alumni for well .... lets say more than 3 years and lets leave it at that! I get more fired up about the students not getting more and better seats because that is part of the OSU student experience even if they only last one fall quarter..... lol

Not upset ... disappointed but not upset.... we'll still go down for pre-game eat brats socialize and hangout with TBDBTL friends and RV buddies....

11. I am a senior at OSU and I have heard from an orientation leader that many incoming freshmen are upset about tickets. So it looks like students are going through the same thing. I would suppose students bought a lot more tickets this year, and most likely alumni as well. It is a pretty crappy schedule, but Ohio State athletics in general are on fire right now.

12. You guys pay dues? What kind of lame a** thing is that? Didn't you pay enough tuition? If you really want to give money away, you can help me pay my tuition!!! I guarantee, once I graduate I'm not giving those people another dime!!!

13. There are some great Division III schools in Ohio. The price of admission is alot less than a Big 10 school. Mount Union College is a nine time National Champion...:p

14. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

the woman i got mine off of was expecting a or b deck when we got them this week they were D deck...yes these were the ones i was selling:confused:

15. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

All this money to watch an padded conference that showed it's true SoS in the championship? Big money schools such as OSU, USC, Mich, and others are about as much a college venue as I am a millionaire....

They recruit and retain players that should not even be in college but are merely opting to showcase themselves to be picked higher in the draft, take a look at these schools graduation rates! The real deal with OSU is that since Columbus is lacking a professional team like Cincinnati and Cleveland and with the "success" of those mentioned programs even those towns people look for a team to attach themselves to. 80% of the people I talk to that are OSU fans never even went to OSU, hell nobody in their family has.

I just find it a bit sad the way college sports has been turned into business over the sport, Yes athletics needs to make money but not to the point of completely sacrificing all respect of the game but the BCS and greedy AD's have money signs in their eyes and could care less about fans, Unless you have a large wallet.

Sorry if it's a bit off topic but I've always been disappointed about they way college sports are headed.

PS: wouldn't life be alot easier if OSU would return to the A&M school it came from, those were the days.

16. I received my tickets in the mail yesterday - Youngstown State; no letter, no explanantion, nothing:mad: They are great seats in B deck at midfield which is my favorite area to watch a game at least.

The ticket problem is very simple economics - Supply Vs. Demand. When the demand for anything exceeds the supply, a couple things inevitably occur - 1) the price goes up 2) a portion of the population can not utilize the said product. In the case of TOSU tickets, the demand tremendously exceeds the supply, even with a 100,000+ seats per game.

I agree students should not get the shaft on tickets regardless of who else gets "bumped", but after that just do the math and those that provide donations to the university endowment fund should come next in order of amount donated. Personally, I paid something like an $800 one-time fee for a lifetime membership and have donated a small amount of money back to the school that has done so much for me, my family, and my career. On the other hand my dentist gladly shells out $10,000 a year and gets season tickets with no problem and eats surf & turf at the Faculty Club before each game.

Hey, OSU administrators could go the other way and build an SEC size stadium that seats 50,000-60,000 and charge $250 for a D deck seat!

Like it or not, there is no easy solution here & economics will ultimately determine ticket prices. There are many who would laugh at the thought of paying a couple hundred $ to see a college football game. However, there are also many (from different income levels) that will save $1,000+ to go enjoy a game. Different strokes for different folks! We saved $ and traveled to games back when I was in college working night shift at a factory for low wages, eating cheap pasta and peanutbutter every day - those are some of my fondest memories and worth every cent!

18. Just a heads up.....My wife is a 1997 Alumni (paid her lifetime member dues) and did not get tickets this year.....That's 10 years out of school. We'll just have to wait until all the old geezers stop going. LOL!

19. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

They already have, it's called the COLLEGE GAMEPLAN.

20. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

Which I think is a prime example of what I am saying, to you OSU is not just college sports but is the equivalent of what most people do with professional sports. You can adore whatever school you'd like but the destruction of the basic principles these sports are supposed to stand for should not be the price. People like college sports because they are not professional sports, and they have the atmosphere and tradition that the pro's cannot touch. But there are also the students and alumni, these are the people who should get first dibs on anything because this is their school. OSU system is whoever pays me the most gets in and most of the people in the stadium have no affiliation with the school or team, sounds pretty much like a professional team to me.