close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shadow Lake- Koi Carp

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mike529, Jul 3, 2007.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was at Shadow Lake after work tonight. I've been there a few times after work and always see carp feeding near the shore. Tonight, I saw a group of 3 or 4 feeding when I saw this one with them. Never seen anything like it. Is it normal for this to be in a lake around here?

Mike

2. Perhaps it is not "normal" to see this because they are not native to our waters. However, I don't believe it is highly uncommon to see it. I am guessing it is either someone's from their water garden or one that survived from a bait bucket of a catfisherman. They often use goldfish for bait.

3. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

Someone probably just tossed it in.I know of a few lakes that
    have one or two,but I can't catch them:(

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

That is always neat to see and a surprise, but as others have mentioned, not too terribly uncommon. There's several places I fish that I regularely see them but have only managed to catch 2 ever. Thanks for the post though, always cool to see different things.

If you do happen to catch it there is a strong liklihood someone would love it for their garden pond.

5. Yeah, Koi, Asian carp, just heard a story these beauties, although an asian symbol of peace will kill a lake. Theywill eat any food in sight, out reproduce any fish and eventually dominate the waters. Already becoming a problem in Lake Erie. If you catch one, DONT THROW IT BACK!! Let the animals eat it and dsipose of it. You know waht they say, they are drop dead gorgeous.

6. Zom B.

Zom B. disMembered

A lot of people buy Koi for their ponds, not realizing how big they get, and how much damage they can cause (as mentioned in the previous post). So, like any other pet that has outgrown it's space, or become unruly, people dump them. Ironically, some koi can bring thousands of dollars when sold to an enthusiast or breeder, if they have just the right coloration, and are at the right stage of maturity. Maybe I should start netting them, and set up a side-business.

On a related note, I heard the other day of a world-record goldfish catch, in California, in which the fish weighed 9.6 pounds. It is hard to imagine one of those little bowl-kept fantails reaching that size.

7. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

There is a lake nearby that is all muddied up. You can actually see thousands of them as lake is pretty shallow.
    I have never tryed for them, but it I assume they would be easy to catch.