Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My '04 Yamaha T8 four stroke suddenly quit while trolling. The diagnosis was a bad CDI. Never even heard of it, but it's the brains of the motor, I guess. Almost never go bad, I'm told, but mine did. If your motor has one, that may be the problem.
That is basically the ignition control module. Unfortunately, it is about like a light bulb blowing the filament. Just for any unknown reason, POOF! Out it goes from any one of the tiny circuitry items inside. As an old Dodge mechanic, I have no idea how many ignition modules I changed in them. Heck, I use to pull used ones at parts yards and kept a couple under the seat! Good luck......

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,476 Posts
All of these sound directionally good...... just remember NEVER RUN PREMIUM, HIGH OCTANE GAS IN A TWO STROKE.......
The boost in their octanes usually come from an added solvent like Benzene...etc.... which will break down/dissolve the oil lubricating base that is added to 2-stroke fuel mixtures!! This is like running on just straight gas, quickly to seize or burn up........ an FYI....... good luck!
I did not know that, you learn something every day ... are you talking premium with or without ethanol or does that make a difference?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts