Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to help a friend here. My buddy has a 2006 6 HP Yamaha that he uses as a kicker motor. It ran in May when he purchased the boat. Currently, it does not even try to start. My first thought was the kill switch, but it seems to be functioning properly. I have not ever seen one go bad, but I am sure that it happens. Is there a way to test one? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

There is gas in the fuel filter. Main motor operates normally.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pull start or electric start?
Tiller control or remote control?
Does it have spark?

You say it ran in May, has it just been sitting since then?
Done a visual inspection under the hood for any mice chewed wires?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull start. Tiller control, not sure if it has spark or not. We did a brief visual inspection, everything looked good.

I do not believe that he used the kicker since May, he has used the boat (main motor).

It just seemed strange to me that the motor was not even trying to start. My only point of reference was when I have accidently flipped the kill switch to off on my Merc kicker.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it was in Neutral. The rope pulls like it should (I have blisters to prove it).

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the ideas, hopefully it is an easy fix. I have had a carb that needed cleaned before, but as I recall, the motor "tried" to start. This one doesn't even think about it!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Harbor freight sells a spark tester for about 5.00. Simply place this light between the plug and the spark plug wire. Pull the cord or hit the starter and the light will light if you have spark. If not, you have an electrical problem. So easy.
Automotive lighting Data transfer cable Auto part Cable Font

If you have spark, put some gas in the cylinders then try to start. If it tries to start, then you have a fuel issue.

Air is rarely the problem.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Sounds like a spark issue. Even a plugged up carb is going to let a tiny bit of fuel through which you will eventually get the motor to sound like it's wanting to start. To test to kill switch you would have to jump the wires for it. The Killswitch is likely not the problem but could very well be if you have no spark. It's likely a bad coil

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
if our 6hp merc has not been run for a few weeks, it will exhibit similar behavior. the ******* solution is to put a very little bit of fuel on a rag, remove cowling, and squeeze (put in) at the air intake and give'er a crank. ether will do the same thing... spray some in there while cranking. works every time for us and then is good to go until the next few weeks not running. disclaimer - this is stupid dangerous and can go very bad for you and the motor.

why is the word "r-e-d-n-e-c-k" changed to * above?

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
Starting fluid is poison for a 2 stroke!
a 2006 yamaha will be a 4-stroke. my old 2-stroke merc 5hp was the tail end of those and it is pre 2000. my 4-stroke merc is a 2019 (pre covid - is how i recall the year...)

starting any engine like this is a bit rough on them... 2or4stroke. it is only going to kick it over once or twice before it begins sucking fuel so not that big a deal... we have done on the old 2-stroke and it is still running fine.

oh, i have a 1960's early era 2-stroke that was my dads. they had to fire that one up like that too. esp on cold winter duck days. they always carried ether for that one as they had it to get the cars started back in the mid-70's when we were afraid of the next ice age coming rather than the global warming. i also remember putting a pencil in the carb to keep the choke open until the engine fired. damn were those predawn mornings bitter cold - but what an adventure!

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,911 Posts
Easy way for me is to pull the spark plug, leave wire connected, ground and look for spark. If you have spark, splash an once of fuel into the chamber, install spark plug, make sure fuel is on, bulb primed, and give it a few tanks. If it starts and dies, it's a fuel restriction. No fire, ignition issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All of these sound directionally good...... just remember NEVER RUN PREMIUM, HIGH OCTANE GAS IN A TWO STROKE.......
The boost in their octanes usually come from an added solvent like Benzene...etc.... which will break down/dissolve the oil lubricating base that is added to 2-stroke fuel mixtures!! This is like running on just straight gas, quickly to seize or burn up........ an FYI....... good luck!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My '04 Yamaha T8 four stroke suddenly quit while trolling. The diagnosis was a bad CDI. Never even heard of it, but it's the brains of the motor, I guess. Almost never go bad, I'm told, but mine did. If your motor has one, that may be the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts