shad run

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by uglykat23, Feb 22, 2008.

1. uglykat23

uglykat23 duuuuhhhuuuuuhhhhh

im new to catching shad , any one know when they usually start running in the spring aorund seneca or piedmont

2. im not a very good shad hunter but i remember last year me aand a friend from anouther site just started cast netting inside of dillion spillway and got some it was around the end of feb....there was mostly small ones we did better in a small pond like area near the spill way so all i can really suggest is go out a few times till you can get results i dont have a cast net anymore or i would offer to help you out

3. uglykat23

i baught me a 6 foot cast net last year but it was around may i was just curious if you can catch them earlier then may i caught over 150 before i figured out how to cast one so i guess im more curious is when to start looking for them i freeze them so i have cat bait all summer long, im addicted to using a cast net now, last year i caught 3 carp one bass 2 crappie and a baby musky about 13 inchs i release every thing but the shad , i also caught a deer skull with its antlers cut off a pair of sunglasses 4 rocks a pop bottle part of an old shoe and bass jigs all from seneca, i just dont know how early you should start looking for them

4. I see them heavy in the feeder creeks in april and may just before the white bass run. Thats in central ohio but I am sure it should be the same their. I believe you can catch them all year long might not be the size you are looking for but worth a shot.In december I must of snagged over 25 one night saugeye fishing that were over 6 inches.I was fishing in the mouth of a feeder creek. Good luck and try often and let us know what you find out.

5. I've seen schools in the creek while fishing that I could cast a net over and schools in the lake that skim across the top of the water that I could cast a net on but I never set out to catch them. They seem to me to be a hard fish to trap. Heck, I'd like to know also how to get a bucket full of them for bait.
    I learn something new everyday !!!

6. uglykat23

the ones i found last year were by pure accident they happend to be in my favorite cat hole i went out baught me a 6 foot cast net and spent the rest of the summer learning how to cast it properly even though my futile attempts at casting caught me some i bet this year my bucket will runith over now that i know how to cast it if ya want hit me up about mid to late april ill catch all the shad for ya you want im addicted to it now , i think i might go up to the bigger 8 foot net just for new challenge though

7. sparkywest28

sparkywest28 sparkywest28

i know where u can go now ,there r so many of all sizes u would need 2or three people to help u pull them in.(and watch in case u get pulled in)