close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shad/Rt 82 & the Cuyahoga River

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Baitkiller, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

I went down to the dam on the Cuyahoga River today looking for the Shad for bait for the Flatheads in "05". There was alot down there just below the dam. All looked to be in the 15 inch to 19 inch range.

:confused: My questions are:

#1 Does anybody know any legal means to get them there???

#2 Does anybody know for sure which type of Shad/Herrings these are there now???

#3 Has anybody been able to get the large Gizzard Shad to bite on anything if that is what they are???

Thanks for the help guys
    <><Baitkiller><>

2. Dude, It's legal to use a cast net to catch them. The 1,000 feet downstream of a dam rule applies to snagging.......Have good netting!

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Tightliner

As much as I hate it, and I myself misread it about 5 times heres out of the "04"-"05" Regs:

"except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, NETS :( , seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downsteam of a dam".

Tightliner I have read your posts in the past and believe that one should be able to use a net as long as one follows the othe rules that go a long with it, I see no harm (opinion).

What I see that is not on the list is gigs, spear, crossbow, bow & hook & line.

I wish you could tell me that the Ohio Div of Widlife said we could use a cast net within 1,000 ft downstream for them :D .

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on the way I'm reading this(ANYBODY).

Tightliner your only about 15 min. east of me and would like to see us hook up :D on the Flatheads next year.

4. Steve, send an e-mail to the DNR and lets see what they say, see the way that I interpret the rule is that "except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, NETS , seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downsteam of a dam". So that would mean that it is okay, to use explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, and chemicals as long as your 1,000 feet below a dam? When they say nets I'd imagine that they are referring to GILL NETS. If this rule about not using cast nets 1,000 feet below a dam then why is it not mentioned in the special cast netting section? The cast netting section says "CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet." That means you can't use huge nets with real small mesh, and you can catch forage fish (gizzard shad, suckers 10" a under", carp, chubs) anywhere except for up at Lake Erie (because that is not the Inland Fishing District). So seriously send an e-mail to the DNR and lets see what they say. We definately have too hook up in the spring and try to bring in some shovelheads!

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Tightliner

I did drop the first part of the quote which is something like: Forge fish may be taken by any means "except " " " " " ".NETS" " " " etc etc.".

Unless theres a loop hole Tightliner.

I will write them soon but not today.

We will hook up....TY.

<><Baitkiller><>

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I spoke with the National Park rangers last week. Not all state regulations apply in the National Park.
    The CVNP website states that you are not allowed to possess baitfish in the park. They explained that the rule is prevent people from bringing in non-native species.
    He did not have a problem with catching the shad and removing them from the park as long as you
    1)do not use them for bait in the park (even as cutbait)
    2)do not bring them back into the park
    3)they are caught on a rod and reel

No cast nets, dip nets, minnow traps etc. are allowed to used in the park.

My freezer is full of the biguns for next year. I had to cover the gallon freezer bags with a paper towel. The boss didn't care to open the freezer and see them "staring at her".
    The rangers were very helpful. They called you back promptly. Excellent service.

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Man Baitkiller, I would love to get some 15 to 19 inch shad for live bait! I have never seend one that big. I have caught a few 12 inchers but not 15! WOW!

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

:eek: Wow :eek: !!!!!!!!

I did get some 17 inch ones there today, none where under a foot. I will call the Rangers up before I go back down again.

Thanks Lewzer :D !

Today one could fill 5 - 5 gal buckets in less than three hours there.

<><Baitkiller><>

9. How did you get them? Did you cast net them or snag them? I would assume that it would be legal to snag them there, since the actual dam was really removed, if you are fishing the place in kent that I'm thinking of, am I correct in my assumption or is this another part of the river?

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

Tightliner

I was at the Cuyahoga at the CVNP. From what was posted below I am calliing or will stop by there soon to talk to a ranger and confirm about the hook-line.

Thanks again Lewzer

Tightliner I only been over to the Kent area one time since they removed the dam. Have you ever got Shad there? I'm still looking for places that are close to get Shad and have a few spots to check out after the rains to see if the are there then. Its a task that I've been doing for awhile (13 years) now on the live Flathead and Pike baits....... Gills, Carp, Bullheads, Bass, Shiners, Chubs, Channels, White Bass, etc etc, but the Shads I just started using in Aug of this year.

<><baitkiller><>

11. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

just happened to come by this post and wanted to mention.. yea rockbass, gizzard shad can get huge!... i was steelie fishing last year and thought i had a small one and it turned out to be a 19" gizzard shad. (caught on little cleo) it was mouth hooked, not that it matters and ive since snagged into alot of them and every now and then it happens to be in the mouth- not sure if they are biting or just trying to 'school' with the lure or what.

as for the regs i see people net and intentionally snag them alot... many times they have those burlap bags and they say they put them in there and sink the bag for catfish chum or something... i was watching a couple guys do that at the mouth of a lake erie tributary and the DNR showed up... i didnt think they could do it directly off the lake but all the officer did was empty their bag and checked that it was all shad, then went on his way.

i actually have a pic of that shad somewhere- see if i cant dig it up... pretty crazy seeing a 19" giz shad, even my audubon field manual says max length 16", LOL

12. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

ok i have way too much time on my hands.... 19" gizz shad
    [​IMG]