close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shad Question?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BassBlaster, Sep 6, 2007.

1. So I got me a cast net and I've been practicing. I plan on doing some cattin this weekend. Where is a good place to try and net up some shad from the bank? I'm gonna go try and catch bait after work tomorrow. Also how do you guys cut your shad? Are you just cutting them in half or cutting chunks or dose it just depend on the size of the shad?

2. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

I don't know how to target them during the day, but a lantern by the water at night and one or two casts and your in business, then I would cut them in different sized chunks and vacuum seal them(it was the only way the wife would let me keep dead fish in the freezer, then I had to put them inside a plastic Kroger bag so she or nobody else would see them, women!)

3. Now that I think about it, last week when I was out there were shad breaking the surface all around us after we fired the lantern up. Maybe I'll use catching bait as an excuse to go fishing tomorrow night!!

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Wait untill it gets dark, then hit the main run coming from the pool below Griggs (the one on the east side). I bevlieve your familiar w/Griggs so I think you will have some idea where im talking about: Just after the 1st riffle (near the lookout tower) there is a small semi-eddy on the west side of the run. Yu may have to wade out just a bit in order to get a good cast, but one or two casts in that eddy area will likely produce enough shad for an entire year: there's thousands of them in that hole, litterally

5. I know that general area. I'll cruise by there after work before it gets dark to check it out then go back after them later. Thanks for the tip, thats a spot not to far from the house so that will be great!!

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Yeah, np man...There's so many Shad in the Scioto right now it's almost unbeliveable. But like I said, there only in there after dark, you won't see a single one untill nightfall...after the lights go out you can basically walk on them ;)

7. oh they are there, i floated down there the other day and seen tons of them...not as many as i seen in oshay yesterday though, but they are there all day!!!!

8. fishintechnician

fishintechnician Amateur legend

there are definetly shad in the sci i went out early saturday and got about 5 doz in an hour. nice size too between 4 and 6 in.