close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sewage into the Ohio

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by cheezemm2, May 21, 2004.

1. Looks like the carp are going to eat well for a few days :D

2. looks like some of those nasty white trojan river worms will be floating by shortly. :eek:

A couple floated by and grossed me out of the mill creek last Sat. when I was in there looking for bait... had to go somewhere else. Those things are just to nasty...

3. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I guess that means more sewer trout than normal will be floating in the river.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

That story reads weird :

400,000 gallons-per-minute is the amount of wastewater has been flowing into the Ohio River since the sewage line broke Thursday morning.

He says when it's all said and done, more than 600,000 gallons of human waste will have polluted the Ohio River.

Doesn't make sense :confused:

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I was thinking the same thing......must've meant 600,000,000 gallons. Been broken for days or weeks too.

6. mrfishohio

You just have to pick this apart......
    WHEELING, WV -- 400,000 gallons-per-minute is the amount of wastewater has been flowing into the Ohio River since the sewage line broke Thursday morning. BROKE or discovered (?)the break...they don't know how long it's been broken do they ? Right now, city crews are working to get the spill stopped. King Campbell is the Superintendent of Water Pollution Control for Wheeling. Campbell says two men cutting grass for Ohio County Schools discovered the break around 11 a.m. Thursday near 12th Street in Warwood. He says a small landslide caused a giant sewage pipe called an interceptor to break. The interceptor takes all the waste from Clearview, northern parts of Ohio County and Warwood to the treatment plant in south Wheeling. He says when it's all said and done, more than 600,000 gallons of human waste will have polluted the Ohio River. Campbell's warning those who boat on the river is to avoid the area until Monday. But he says the spill isn't a huge environmental risk. Campbell says he's not sure what would happen to a person who came in contact with the sewage.They'll be skinky !! The pipe is expected to be fixed by the end of Thursday.
    So I guess maybe they could pinpoint the landslide happened between the the times the grass was cut. Unless they witnessed the small landslide.
    So anyway, it was discovered 11AM and might be fixed by 12 midnite (end of Thursday, that's a possibility of 13 hours @ 400,000 = alot of poo poo in the water. Or was it broke for days or weeks? I'd like to know if it just happened ie: the mower caused the small slide.......or if it had already been broke much longer.
    Often when there's a raw sewage spill, they broadcast an ecoli warning to stay away from contact with the river water for a few days.

7. mrfishohio

I have a hunch they actually broke the pipe at 11AM and then it was cut off or something about an hour or two later for repairs......

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I don't know how a waste water treatment plant works, but you'de think they would monitor the ammount of "liquids" they have coming in and are treating. 400,000 GPM is ALOT... the whole ordeal sounds weird.

9. moke11

moke11

In any case, it kept moke11 from getting the first decent flathead of the year because I would not slop around in the stuff. :mad:

10. mrfishohio

That water should be down into the Missippi or even the Gulf of Mexico by now.....

11. 400,000 GPM is INSANE flow. I don't know for sure but I think that would require a pipe with a diameter of over 100' with SERIOUS head pressure. I think the article was wrong lol.

12. mrfishohio

Good point, maybe it was 400,000 GPH or 4,000 GPM......some sort of typo.

13. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

What is the difference between that and letting Justcrazy on the water???

14. mrfishohio

Justcrazy floats !! :D