close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious ? about blue cats???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by INSANE_SQUAD, Apr 30, 2004.

1. As everyone knows i can't catch blue cats!!

Any how i will be heading to Iowa in July and will be fishing the Missouri and i here this river is great for the blues..

If anyone can help direct me into the correct visual areas i would deeply appreciate it..

Heres just a few things i know about the river in this area..

1) The river flows very fast thru Council Bluffs, about 4.5 mph..
    2) There are many trail dikes
    3) Water is normally tainted in color due to river speed.
    4) I have fished the river where water temps have hit 85°.

So questions i have:

1) Do blues feed actively in warm water?
    2) What type of river bottom should i look for?
    3) Do feeder creeks help?
    4) Does warm water outlets help?
    5) deep or shallow water??
    6) What side of the trail dike might work?
    7) What time of day do they feed and so forth?

Any help would be great..If you want to keep the information quite a P.M would also be great...

Thanks in advance,

Insane-------out

2. Try doing a search on uscatsiowa & missouri blue cats I found alot to read about the fishing out there.Daryl

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

From my short experiances fishing for them on the James River we got quanitys of fish from the tribs, some places as shallow as 5 foot, but a large majority of the time fishing in 20 foot of water. It seemed, to me at least, that the deeper the water we got into the chances of bigger fish increased.

This is my personal best Blue cat, caught in the 20 foot of water range. Granted its a large fish, the majority we caught in this area we're 20lb class fish. It's a terrible picture unfourntaly the pictures I have of the fish where you can see the full size of it we're taking on film thats used in projectors so I am unable give the fish the quality picture it really deserved :D
    [​IMG]

Heres a picture of two fish caught at the same time. One was 41lbs and the other was 33, both of these fish we're caught in about 50 foot of water.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least the biggest fish I've ever encountered on any fishing trip. This is a 63lb bruiser blue. This guy was caught in 80 foot of water. To bad my friend got to reel it in instead of me :p
    [​IMG]

So look for deeper water, tribs for more fish, and the main river for bigger fish. Like I said this is just from my experiances and it may not be true. My friend caught a 51#er in a small trib in about 20 foot of water... now that I think about it more it may have to do with where the bait fish are holding and the type of area your fishing :eek:

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I suppose it would be better go to the blue cat guru himself, mrfishohio. The man knows his bluecats :)

5. catking

catking Banned

July- Deep waters for blues except at night, then head to shallower waters. Down side of the trail dam. Night time by far will be more productive that time of year. As you know, cut bait #1....... Where you are headed Phil is GREAT blue cattin. You WILL get a monster !!! Give us all a full report !! DA KING !!!

6. i would also like to catch some blues but dont even just don t ...know where to start!!!ill drive.