Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one else have a hard time finding friends to go fishing with that are willing to spend a full day concentrating on Bass fishing?

All my friends here salt water fish. For most of them a day on the water is a party that hopefully includes catching a big fish to eat. They like to make it back to the bar in time for happy hour, and rarely will stay out all day.

Where I bass fish the chance of catching a double digit bass is as good as anywhere, but you have to fish hard from dawn to dusk plus drive 3 hours each way. I tell my friends if they go bass fishing with me they can't drink 12 beers apiece before lunch and expect to catch a big bass. Their casts have to be accurate, and some days the fish don't bite. There are no margaritas, girls in bikinis, and a big fish wont feed every person at the bar. They just thank me for the invitation and tell me to give them a call when the bite is on and it's not so difficult to catch the big ones. Everywhere else I have lived I have always had a couple friends that were serious fishermen who always put the time and effort in to catching fish, and there wasn't even a chance at a double digit bass. Here making it back to happy hour is more important than a chance at a 10 pounder. I don't get it.

My friends say I'm to serious and need to relax. Nothing against partying, or relaxing, just not when I'm bass fishing. To me fishing is more than a party with fishing rods involved. I am very busy at work, and get far to few days to target bass to spend those days baby sitting drunk fishermen. I have to do that far to often while working. I guess for now I will just keep going by myself with my kayak and enjoy the solitude, and the occasional giant bass.

· Fishin-For-Fun
2,547 Posts
i would say ask for their 1/2 $ costs before leaving the dock and then put them in the back of the boat and let them drink their 12 beers before lunch so they don't bother your fishing for the remainder of the day. however, i was thinking bass boat and then i see you say kayak... not quite as easy. ha ha ha

but seriously, it is difficult to find someone that is as into something as you are. it may be interest, skill, life situation, means, etc... so what that means is some days you will go it alone, other days reduce expectations and enjoy the companionship. who knows, you may grow a new lifelong friend that rivals your interest in this.

just remember you must be extra safe when by yourself. if you go to remote locations, consider getting a SARSAT personal beacon as even if your phone is dead, you don't have to be...

· Registered
439 Posts
I use to tournament fish & enjoyed it. Then I retired. I still like to fish. Bass fishing is all I do, but will reel anything in. I call it fun fishing now. Go when I want to, where I want to. But I do find it hard to find someone who wants or can go during the week. I tend not to go to the lakes on the weekend. Launching my boat myself, etc. I go early, might go home, back to hotel, then go back out. I realize not everyone can do that but I don't see myself changing my routine.

· Registered
4,212 Posts
Hard to find good fishing buddies. The only two guys that I fish with that will stay dark to dark with me is my dad and the one guy I tournament fish with sometimes. Other than that everyone wants to go a few hours here and there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.