Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pack thanks to all of your advice! caught one decent one on em so far on a Texas. Also, i tried "Wacky style" too with no results... Expected more action though... Any tips to get my bass thumb aching? Thanks to all that reply!

Good Fishing!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your fishing the 5,6 or pro senko try it weightless, play with the hook size and
line choice until it falls slowly in the water. Keep your eye on the line when fishing
it this way, I get (and miss) alot of fish hook setting when the bait is falling.

Don't give up on the wacky rig, if they are hitting it that day it's a blast. O rings
and some small circle hooks will help from tearing up your bait.

I always have a rod loaded with a senko handy, great baits!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use a 1/0 wormhook so it falls slow and twich it almost like a worm. it really mimicks a dying bait fish. it has a very irratic action.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If your fishing the 5,6 or pro senko try it weightless, play with the hook size and
line choice until it falls slowly in the water. Keep your eye on the line when fishing
it this way, I get (and miss) alot of fish hook setting when the bait is falling.

Don't give up on the wacky rig, if they are hitting it that day it's a blast. O rings
and some small circle hooks will help from tearing up your bait.

I always have a rod loaded with a senko handy, great baits!

Jaysin, I agree with MStaff, don't give up on the wacky rig. As the water continues to warm, the fish will become more lethargic and often will relate better to that slower fall/presentation of the wacky rig. My son fishes both the 4" and 6" with a lot of success. He's pretty good about skippin'em deep under any cover, docks and boat pontoons. We almost never fish them texas-rigged, so I can't comment on that. I opt for other baits if throwing something texas-rigged.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
After the cast and the initial sinking of the senko.... if no hits, bring it all the way back up to the surface and let it fall again, and repeat. seems to get me more hits then just dragging it all the way in on the bottom.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I hook it just like a texas rig, but no sinker.

I use a 3/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap Worm Hook.

Watch it work in the water where you can see it, and you will learn the best way for you to fish it.

It's absolutely crazy the way it sinks, and when you jerk it back on a retrieve, its crazy too.

Love Senko's

·
Registered
123 Posts
i tend to use the 4" ones weedless but weightless recently and i have been hammering em, though wacky rigging is my choice, usually weightless as well or with a sinker. though many people say to use them without a sinker, i have caught fish on them. i always use bps 3/0 wide gap hooks. ps, if you want to add some extra action stick a needle in one or both of the ends of the senko. ;). goodluck.

·
Steel seeker!
227 Posts
i like to use a 1/0 wormhook by gamakatsu and a tungsten bullet weight. Usually 1/8 ounce. It gives them some crazy action underwater. The tungsten weights are pretty pricey(then again so are the senkos) Ive had just as much luck with the bass pro shop "sink-o's" which are a rip off of the senkos, except you can get a 100 pack for 15 bucks instead of 70 lol Not to mention they are built alot tougher and dont rip off after every couple of fish

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have experimented with senko hooks for a while.....i have realized that the gamakatsu size 6 octopus circle amazing hook is amazing! Have lost very few fish this year as opposed to last year thanks to these instead of the weedguard hooks....and t-rigging is unnecessary the wacky rig seems to be much more effective...this is my no-fail rig:

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
ok the hole point of these baits are to be fished weightless ..its the action it has on the fall even in 15 to 20 feet of water ...never ever use a weight ..
try this throw one with and one with out see witch one looks and acts better ..once you put a weight on its just a worm ..i use the 6 in senkos and a 2/ 0 hook is the best way to go ..yes a 3/0 fits better but with a 2/0 you tear less of the senko up..hope this helps you out

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
While you're getting used to them, use the 4 inchers. Because it's smaller, you'll get more bites when you're toying with it initially. After you get used to it, you'll be able to jump up in size and target larger fish. If I'm fishing lakes, the senko is my #1 bait by FAR over anything else.

I've told this to every friend who's ever tried the senkos. If you're learning, take a walk around the shore with a pair of polarized glasses and a senko. Every time you see a fish, throw the senko a foot in front of it. WATCH what happens. Notice when they hit on the fall (because they will hit), notice when they hit when you raise if from the bottom. Apply what you notice to your non-sight fishing, and you'll IMMEDIATELY improve.

Also, I only fish senkos weightless and wacky. Shallow, deep, it doesn't matter. I can promise you that if you try the sight fishing with the smaller worms, you'll experience results and knowledge.

One more thing, prior to joining this site, I didn't know what the heck a senko even was. As stated, it's now my favorite lake bait.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Can't fish a Senko wrong. Trig is my fav because any resistance is a fish

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Check out the Owner Twistlock Senko hooks (designed by Gary Yamamoto)...they are a light wire hook and work really well.

I, personally, have never caught a bass on a wacky rigged Senko. Obviously I'm in the minority..but I almost never fish them that way either.

Finally, there are plenty of guys who use bullet weights while fishing them in deep water. Some even peg a sinker and flip bushes or punch matted grass with them. It's a finesse bait regardless of how it is fished.

Think of it as a Reese Cup to a bass..

Sent from my HTC Evo

·
Tackle addict
2,036 Posts
Do less on a senko...not more. Dead sticking is the way to go with a wacky rigged senko...or a texposed senko....you get the idea.

·
Registered
756 Posts
i could probably google this, but i'll ask the experts. how do you rig wacky style? i bought a couple packs of senkos, havent caught anything on them yet rigged texas. havent used them very often to be honest

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is a little tricky but try and follow along. It is one of those things only the pros know how to do correctly. :)

Step 1. Hook the worm one time through the center of the body.
Step 2. Cast
Step 3. Laugh at the people who look at you like you don't know what you are doing.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Ya....don't bother using a weight in conjunction with a senko....you will just be wasting your time ; )

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Check out the Owner Twistlock Senko hooks (designed by Gary Yamamoto)...they are a light wire hook and work really well.

I, personally, have never caught a bass on a wacky rigged Senko. Obviously I'm in the minority..but I almost never fish them that way either.

Finally, there are plenty of guys who use bullet weights while fishing them in deep water. Some even peg a sinker and flip bushes or punch matted grass with them. It's a finesse bait regardless of how it is fished.

Think of it as a Reese Cup to a bass..

Sent from my HTC Evo
i am not a big fan of light wire hook ..for small fish its ok ..but not the big boys

1 - 20 of 27 Posts