close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Senko Questions

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by oufisherman, Apr 25, 2005.

1. I had a few questions regarding the Senko and what style of rigging because it seems like a popular bait. How exactly do most guys rig the Senko on the hook? Is put on like a lizard or worm so that it lies as straight as possible? Or do some people fish it wacky worm style with only a few small split shot ahead of it? How much weight are they usually fished with if they are texas rigged?
    If I can make it down to AEP this coming weekend, this could be a good lure with the rain and slight cold spell. Just hoping someone can answer a few questions. Thanks

2. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

We texas rig our senko. They are pretty heavy, so you shouldn't need a split shot. I have never rigged them wacky. I have wacky worms, not sure of the brand name. But they say wacky worm on the front of the package. I have caught several largemouth's on the wacky worm.
    Good Luck!

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I do just what basskisser said, texas rig straight and no weight needed. the action is all in the fall.

4. I have only used the Senkos a little but I had pretty good success with them. I plan to use them more this year. I basically used them in shallow water areas and fished them as was mentioned, T-rig and weightless. I was wondering if anyone uses them in deeper water on a C-Rig? I have not done too much C-Rigging but I want to try and learn to use them more this year. I have only ever tried the C-Rig with plastic worm but I am wondering if a senko would work in the same setup?

5. I use a 3/0 EWG Tex-posed with no weight.

I got this AEP beauty last year with a 5” black Senko.

Also, Senkos are not very durable……I went through 3 packs in 3 days of AEP fishing last spring (25-50 bass a day)

[​IMG]

6. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating

I wacky rig them with a rubber O-ring in the center. Then just put your hook through the O ring, this saves the Senko from getting ripped in half. I read about this in a magazine articles last year. I like Strike King Zeros also, and there cheaper.

7. Hey Rooster, That's the kind of bass I'll be looking for on Friday! I figured with the cold weather the Senko might be a good bait. Thanks for all the help guys.

8. I MIGHT be fishing AEP this weekend as well. I’m waiting on the weather, and my fishing buddy to get the weekend off.

9. Friday depends on the weather for me too. Just looked at weather forecast and calling for 80% chance of rain on Friday. With all the rain, the ponds should be getting high! I was going to meet up with FishJunky to fish some ponds. I could bear the rain if I was catching some bass!

10. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Senkos are awesome! I ususally rig them texas style with no weight. Throw them into the weeds at Portage Lakes and Hold on!

11. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I love to rig them wacky and skip them way under docks in the summer. They can't resist that slow fall!

12. I do have another question regarding this bait. What type of rod action and line weight do you guys like the best for throwing them? I was thinking of using a medium-heavy action 6'6" spinning rod with 8 pound test. I also have a medium-light action spinning rod spooled with 6 pound Spiderwire mono, which would be sensitive for light bites. Which would be the best choice because I'm not sure how heavy the Senko would be without weight. Thanks again.

13. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

when i use senkos in early season or cold water, i use the 3inchers couple with owner downshot hook size 2.. texas rigged half way down the body to let the senko falls as naturally as possible.. once the water temps starting to rise, i goto 4inchers couple with size 1/0 owner downshot hook.. again, texas rigged half way down the body.. by mid-summer i would be throwing the 5 inchers using the same 1/0 downshot hook..
    the line i use varied from 4-6lbs test depending on the conditions.. nothing fancy either,,just cheap ole mono.. 8lbs test is abit too heavy IMO..using lighter lines can give you that little extra casting distance..
    this only works thus far in any moving rivers/creeks systems.. and 1 or 2 lakes so far..

14. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I use them flippin bushes with a light weight and shake in their face. They love that thing.

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i use a spinning rod, usually med. action and 8lb yo-zuri hybrid, a med. heay rod would work well too. i like the longer rods though 7ft and up

16. The 5” Senkos weigh about 1/3 oz., and you can sling them. I use a 6’6” MH fast action rod (baitcasting) with 12lb test fluorocarbon. But, 8lb test sounds about right for spinning gear. I got a pack of the BIG 6" senkos last night.....looking for those hungry AEP hogs!

17. Ivan

Ivan Cigar a-fish-ianado

18. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

you should be fine with a 6'6'' MH spinning rod, however I would use 10-12lb test. Only use 8 if the water is extremely clear.

19. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

austin, be brave and go with the 8lb! I have drug hawgs out of heavy cover with that!

20. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I would go with the 10-12 lb just for the hookset. I would break the 8 lb or I would be worried that I didn't bury the hook deep enough. Once the fish is hooked its easy to get them in!