Ohio Game Fishing banner

Senko Gurus! Please Help!!!

3K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  mismas1 
#1 ·
Ok. I have been fishing Senkos for bass of late. I read that the watermelon with black flake were the most effective. I have been using the 4 inch, hooked whacky style. Here are my issues:

1. Are my Senkos to small?
2. When you let the Senko sink how long should you let it rest on the bottom?
3. How often should you raise the Senko, and let it fall again?
4. Should you raise the Senko out of the water?
5. What colors and sizes have been most successful for bass?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to use these expensive items as best as possible.

JM

#2 ·
i like the 4in. in inland lakes preferbly in green pumpkin,mardi gras,black and watermelon w/black flake and same colors but 5in. in lake erie,if the waters calm,i'll twitch it and jump it around after it sits for a few seconds,and it rougher water maybe let it go a lil longer and let the water give its own action,it all depends on how you have it rigged and where your fishing,there was just a post on this a couple days ago that should be useful,might want to check it out,everyone will have their own favorite way for theres lots of colors and ways to rig them,gl

#5 ·
Like TD, we use the baby bass color exclusively. We fish both the 4" and the 6". the 4" mostly though. Fished unweighted and wacky around cover and skipped under docks. Bass generally hit it on the fall. The 'action' and timing depends on the water depth. Few seconds for the drop, then 1-2 short jerks to create some action, let it fall. Repeat. No strike, re-cast.

There are some out there that fish these texas-rigged. We do not do that. I have other things in the aresenal that call them up more consistently if fishing that way.

The Yamamoto's can be pricey. I have found the BPS and Gander Mtn brand to be as effective in the same lengths and color, though weight is a little different. I find the Yamamoto's a little more dense/heavier.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
1. Are my Senkos to small?
we use from 3 in to 8 in
2. When you let the Senko sink how long should you let it rest on the bottom?
as long as you want .some times just swiming it you can get a big bass to eat it..but they make swimsenkos
3. How often should you raise the Senko, and let it fall again?
it up to you on that one.. i work fast
4. Should you raise the Senko out of the water?
when you cast
5. What colors and sizes have been most successful for bass?

every lake has a color they like the best . watermellon ,shad ,bubblegum,green pumpikn most of the time i use them in 6 in

#13 ·
Try rigging it texas style, but without the weight.

Throw it out and let it fall, watch your line.

I like bringing it back on with a jerky retrieve until its up close to the top, and let it fall again.

I think the action of it rigged this way is much better than wacky rig.

Its awesome the way it sways back and forth when its falling.

#19 ·
I like Texas rigging my senko when skipping or heavy cover and wacky style when fishing outside the cover or rip rap.Favorite colors are watermelon grn pumkin, cinnamon in the Jackal and baby bass ....i use 5-6 inch the 4" dnt have the same action as the 5" I even drop shot them wacky style.a senko is the go to bait when nothing els works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.