Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the SW Region! I've been looking for a good camping trip for the family. Kinda settled on Seneca Lake. Since I live near Dayton, it's safe to assume I know very little about the campground or the fishing. I've been to the MWCD website and checked camping maps and lake maps. I'll have a boat with me and I guess I'll be launching from the campground ramp area. Target dates are in the middle of July.

I'm an experienced fisherman but any "local" fishing advice would be very much appreciated. Same offer applies to you. If you're heading out here to the SW, drop me a PM and I'll tell you all I know about your location.

Best source for locale knowledge is another fisherman!

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey BigRed. There are two campgrounds at Seneca. One at the marina and another at the park. Both have multiple showerhouses and bathrooms and they are kept clean! The beach is down by the park campground. The marina campground has the showerhouse/restrooms, playground for kids, full size basketball court, sand volleyball and the boat ramp.
Don't know if you'll be in a camper or a tent. If you are going to be in a tent, I would try to get a spot between 260 and 272. They are right on the lake toward the end of the campground point. Pretty good fishing from the bank for kids, lots of blue gill and rockbass. Ton of crawdads too, if they like messin with them! Pretty good catfishing right from the campsite too. We were there June 13 14 15 and the kids caught alot of gills and rockbass and we caught a few catfish at night.
As far as fishing, if you are bassin, night time will be best. You can catch a few early mornings and evenings on jigs, worms and cranks but with all of the boats and jet-skis the better bite is at night. Try shakyhead worms around the docks and the dam.
For saugeye, seems most guys now are casting 1/8 oz jig heads with twist tails tipped with a piece of crawler around the islands. Also doin some trollin with same set up or dearies or cranks.
For crappie, cruise around the banks and look for trees on the bank with a bright orange spot painted on them. This indicates a brush pile. Try jigs and curlys or live minnows.
A lot of the docks in any of the bays hold good numbers of gills, crappie and perch. Plain old crawler on a hook or add a bobber. Great action for the kids.
We live about 35 minutes from Seneca and usually camp there a few times each year. We love it. Like I said, the restrooms are kept nice and there is a ton of stuff for the kids to do. We may be over there around the middle of July. I've got a blue Dodge truck pulling a red and black Javelin bassboat. If you see me, give me a yell and we'll go cast a few!

·
Just keep casting ...
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FlipNPithch,

Thank you very much for the great advice. I try for those tent spots you mentioned, my boys would love to shore fish!

Thanks Again!
BigRed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts