close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

senate approves arctic oil drilling

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by goodday, Mar 16, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It was inevitable. Not saying I like it. They let the price of oil get way out of hand. Now we have to find more or come up with some alternative fuel sources for mainstream consumption, like ethanol, hyrdogren and the like. I don't think the hybrids will cut it because they still do rely upon fuel.

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I can't say I like it either, but I work in an industry that requires me to put 25,000 miles or more per year on my van. I spend ALOT in gas. This price increase recently is killing me. I say go for it, or raise the cents per mile subcontractors can claim on their taxes.

3. ...this will not lower gas in the states...
    if I recall any oil that is taken out of there goes straight to Japan and will not affect our oil prices at all...
    Blame China on our high gas prices they are taking alot more then ever before and will continue to in the future...
    We better get use to the high prices.......... grrrrrrrrr

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I feel for you man. I'm lucky and "fly" to work. Not a lot of commuting. Our company raised the mileage rate to $.405. I still don't think that is enough.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

how much has gass risen since 9/11? no end in sight either. I predict 2.50 by the end of the year.....just another example of the fleecing of middle class america.

6. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

What's the big deal? People up there need the work, and more animals' habitat is destroyed every time a suburban golf course goes up in the continental 48. I agree that it won't lower gas prices though.

7. It’s a big deal because it is the last truly wild area in the United States. It is illogical and borderline absurd to believe that the drilling will have such a minimal impact (it is not all based on square footage). Also, it is a dangerous precedent that could open up similar projects in other areas.

I will be very surprised if consumers will benefit from the drilling with lower gas prices. However, I’m sure that a small elite group will benefit greatly from the drilling.

Sadly, politicians and the big money that backs them are not leaving very much of this world for the future generations.

8. catking

catking Banned

Hey all you great members- How about keeping this thread all about the environment and not any politics ;) Ok ;) ..Rick..........

9. ...was stated on the news tonight that there won't be a drop of oil for another 10-12 years and that is after the 2 years of bidding that is required...
    another BS agenda :mad:
    Those so called jobs will be cheep labor from other countries :rolleyes:

10. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

11. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

Not much that I can add. How many years did it take to make that oil ???

12. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

When I first started driving gas was about .60 cents a gallon. I'm sure there are a lot of "Old timers" (Catking :D ) who can remember a lot less than that. Now we are paying .53 cents quart! :eek: I paid $2.12 a gallon on Monday! :mad:

13. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

So, what do you think the net effects of drilling will be? All I can think of is that the caribou (the ones that don't want to see some drilling sites and a few dirt roads that connect them, anyway) will just have to make use of the THOUSANDS of acres of land that remain undisturbed. I understand that others feel differently, but IMO, it's no big loss to me or the caribou.

14. Let me indulge you just a little and take you past your obvious obsession with caribou...

What is the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge?
    Often referred to by the acronym ANWR, the refuge in northeast Alaska covers 19.6 million acres, an area about the size of South Carolina.
    It is home to 45 species of mammals, ranging from the small pygmy shrew to the large bowhead whale. Others include caribou, wolves, Dall sheep, moose, musk oxen and polar, grizzly and black bears. Waters in the refuge are home to 36 species of fish, and 180 species of birds live in or pass through the refuge on their migrations, including snow geese and peregrine falcons.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which manages ANWR, says one factor that makes the refuge "a very special place is that, as far as we know, there are no species that should be here but are not, and no species that should not be here, but are. In other words, no species of plant or animal is missing, and no outside species has invaded the refuge."

To the west of the refuge lies Prudhoe Bay and existing oil fields that account for 15 percent of domestic production. Farther west is the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, an area designated by Congress for oil production and which the Bush administration is now opening up to exploration. The reserve, Prudhoe Bay and ANWR's coastal plain make up the geographical area known as the North Slope.

Again... to compare this area to, lets anywhere, is nonsense and to think anyone will save money at the pump because of this drilling is nonsense too...

15. Why should you be concerned if it is not in your back yard? Well, maybe it will be in your back yard next.

It sets the precedent for other wildlife areas to be opened up to similar projects.

As to the net effect, I don’t think that anyone (on either side) can answer that question will any degree of certainty. However, I don’t think that anyone could argue that it will have a positive effect on the ecosystem. Further, If it will take at least 10 years for the oil to be used, how will it help with the current oil crisis? What positive can possibly come for opening it up to drilling?

That’s easy……follow the money!

Look at who (which company) will stand to profit the most from the drilling. Who are the major players in the area? Hint: It is a company that has gotten a LOT of press in the past few years.

16. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Pay close attention to Clyde on this one, he's right on the money.
    If and when the drilling gets underway and oil starts to flow, where's
    it going? Any ideas?
    Overseas. Plain and simple. There is more money to be made in foreign
    markets then in easing the strain on americans gas prices. Simple
    econonics really. Get use to $2.00 a gallon or start walking.
    Still the greatest country in the world dispite its problems.

17. catking

catking Banned

to Buddy Punk- When I started to drive, gas could be had for 28 cents a gallon. Fuel oil , which I just paid $2.29 a gallon for , was 19 cents a gallon. Also to answer Johnnyboy- I was trying to keep the thread on track and not get into political issues with specific people or politians . This CAN be done in this thread, and really needs to be. You all know the TOS rules about politics... ;) Nice disscussion guys and gals. My two cents? Not in my back yard ? The world does not belong to us. It has to last for future generations. Our generation hopefully isn't the one that starts the downfall . CATKING. :)

18. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

this same situation is in fact occuring in our neighborhoods also. every small parcel of woods is home to it's own semi-unique eco-system. many may not fight the development, but some are, the some that realize that the 200,000 house that is going to replace those woods is a problem, both in terms of displacement and erradication of species and once that home is there, it isn't going to magically change back...those deer that once lived in those woods will never been seen by my children or grandchildren...

19. I am heartened to see so many on this board who understand why this should have been an important priority for those with the same interests as me.

Its too bad there aren't more who think the same way. :)