close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Selling a Car, title questions...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TritonBill, Mar 17, 2005.

1. It's been so long since I sold a vehicle to a private individual that I forget the proper procedures. The car for sale is an older 91 Honda Civic.

This guy came to look at my car tonight and he said that if I signed the title he could have someone he knew that was a notary sign it (without me present). Would this be ok to do this way? He's paying me cash for the car.

Any advice appreciate...

Thanks,
    Bill

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Bill. don't do that. Go to any bank, AAA office and get it notorized. I am a notory and it's a federal offence to notorize a signature without you being there. All partys involved CAN BE CHARGED. This includes you. His buddy that's a notory can get fined and jail time if he does that. Like I said any bank will notorize it for you. AS for the price put what ever you want, that's what he pay taxes on. The buyer could use the title to replace one on a stolen car, hot parts etc. Tell him to follow you over and get it done legally.

3. Think about it, what if this guy never switches the title? You are liable to maintain insurance while it is titled to you. I would think that as long as t hat car is titled to you, you are responsible for what happens to it, such as a wreck.
    I have bought and sold titles by the owner just signing off and the buyer doing the rest. Last time I sold a car like this, I was contaced by the guy about 2 years later. He told me he had lost the title, and asked if I could go get a copy so he could put the title in his name. God only knows what happened to this car in the last 2 years. Scared me a bit, but it worked out well.

If you do not know this fellow well, I would arrange to meet him at the title department. This way you can both be sure that things are done right. They are notary and can do it for you. Word of advice if you do go to the title bureau, agree on a price that was paid, they will ask.

This is my 2 cents, I could be dead wrong.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I used to be a notary for work purposes and agree w/ Dale 100%. DONT DO THAT!, What the notary is notarizing is that YOUR signature is truly yours & that it was signed in his/her pressense. It's too easy to find a notary. Better safe than sorry.

5. Thanks guys, I'll do that the proper way.

Then as soon as we tranfer the title over I'm assuming he's free to drive away with the car and I'm done with my part. Is he allowed to drive the car to the BMV to get plates,etc or how does that work?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

he needs to tag it before he can drive it.after you have it notarized,he can either get 30 day tags,or apply for a new title and put regular tags on it.once you've signed it over,it's his,and it could cause problems if he drove it on your tags.

7. 1.take money or good certified check (there are bad checks out there per Beacon Journal article recently)
    2. sign over title in front of notary
    3. take tags of vehicle
    4. wish new owner luck, no longer your problem or liability