close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seen the surgeon today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Well im screwed. They are going to cut out disc's. then fuse bone in them. When they are done with that metal rods. From my tail bone to a little below my rib cage. There went fishing anytime till next spring. Pretty bummed out now, wasnt expecting it to be so bad!! Ill be out the rest of the year, and at least till March next year. Surgery wil be the end of the month. Knowing my luck it will be on my sons birthday. Just thought id update yall :eek:

2. Sorry to hear that. Hang in there. hopefully by next spring you'll be fishing pain free.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Good luck to you. I've been there. I hope yours turns out like mine. I still have a few problems but feel 100% better. Be thankful it's getting colder out, that way at least you should be ready for the spring fishing season. Keep us updated.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

That dont sound good, hope you have a speedy recovery!

5. Good luck and I'm sure you will find the surgery to be a means to end the pain. It did for me. :)

6. JBJ

JBJ

I hate to hear that you will have to go through that CC. But, I pray that it will make things 10 fold better for you in the long run.

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

jason..i know you're hurting bad maan..like everyone said, just hang in there..you will feel much better once its all over with...it certainly beats you popping pills like candy....i'm sure...plus, the fish will still be there waiting for you..

8. Been there done that...
    Be prepared to take your therapy very serious and do not over do it...
    I came back to action sooner then normal and even though not 100% I'll take it...
    GOOD LUCK and God's Speed!!!

9. Thanks for the words of support!

You guys that have had this done, what vertebre's did they fuse together? How bad was it. Ive heard in some cases you feel better right after surgery. But im not sure with them putting 6 screws in my back that it will feel good. Im hoping that at least the constant pain in my feet, legs, and butt will be gone. But im sure my back will hurt where they put in my new hardware!

10. I had my L7 removed thru my stomach (front) then bone taken off my left hip which was then used along with 2 screws and a pin to replace the L7 thru the back...
    If you can DO NOT let them go into your stomach!!! That is what still bothers me more then anything... My back took from April 4th to Aug 10th to heal enough that I could go BACK to work... I really should have waited longer but could not...
    I felt no pain in my legs, back and butt after the initail back surgery wounds/cuts stopped hurting...
    GOOD LUCK and keep us updated...
    Also after you get back on your feet your computer will become your next best friend!!

11. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Hey Capt Crown, Lemme give ya some hope....I had my first back surgery in 91. They fused L-3 to L-4 it was a faied bone fusion. 9 months later I still had so much pain in my legs I had to take pain pills to get out of bed and work was NOT and option. Fusion number 2 took place and for 2 months after the therapy I thought I might finally be going back to work. I bent over to pick up a paper I dropped and bang......instant pain in my legs again. 2 months later I am back in the hospital with the same symptons I started with and this time a new doctor. This Dr, explained that because of the 2nd fusion the disk above and below had worked overtime and had started buldging into the disk space. To make a long story shorter he suggested the metal rods. i am rodded from L-2 to S-1 and can now do most anything I want ( except beat Big Daddy when Fishing together). I still have to take a pain pill now and then but they are no longer a necessesity. You will do great and feel much better. Just remember to work hard at therapy but don't over do it. Just think....as an added bonus you will get to be pretty good at predicting the weather! Those rods seem to do some aching when rain approaches, but nothing a hot tub of water can't fix!
    Good luck my friend..........pain pill free is just around the corner! If ya ever need some words of encouragement or just an ear to listen just PM me. I know it gets pretty depressing when you can't do the things ya think ya should or want to do. I had a total 5 years out of work and was raising my daughter by myself. It was tough but all for the better.

Gene

12. The 2 screws in my knee let me know when the fronts are moving thru. :p
    Because of the degenerative disc desease they are putting the rods to my tail bone. l4 l5 and l5 s1 are what need fixed. But in the case that they need to go back in later the hardware is already there. It's frustrating having a 2 year old son and not being able to do much. He dont understand that i cant play all the time and it gets to me :( alot :eek: my sister is paralyzed from the wasste down, freak accident when she was 3. Her doctor has became a very close friend of the family. she recomended me to the neuro surgeon. said she would trust her with her life. Im confident that she will fix me up right, just alot to digest. Espically when im on 27. They told me that i will never be pain free, but wont be in so much pain that i have to take 8-10 percoset a day. thats what im waiting for :)

13. TxTransplant

Everything happens for a reason Capt. We just don't have the ability to forsee the reasoning. I was an electrician at NASA, chief union steward and foreman of the crew. I lost everything I owned, my job, and my wife. Had a 6 year old daughter that went through the same feelings your son is and will. I had to retrain since the Dr, wouldn't let me climb. Now I work on the electric of the heart in a cath lab at Barberton Hospital and am the manager of the department. I get more satisfaction from my job now then can be put into words. Hang in there! This surgery will be life changing for you! When it's all said and done and your back on your feet you will still have many good years with your son......and the best part......you won't be full of pain pills so you will be able to remember them! Chin up, eyes ahead and don't look back!

Gene

14. TxTransplant

Everything happens for a reason Capt. We just don't have the ability to forsee the reasoning. I was an electrician at NASA, chief union steward and foreman of the crew. I lost everything I owned, my job, and my wife. Had a 6 year old daughter that went through the same feelings your son is and will. I had to retrain since the Dr, wouldn't let me climb. Now I work on the electric of the heart in a cath lab at Barberton Hospital and am the manager of the department. I get more satisfaction from my job now then can be put into words. Hang in there! This surgery will be life changing for you! When it's all said and done and your back on your feet you will still have many good years with your son......and the best part......you won't be full of pain pills so you will be able to remember them! Chin up, eyes ahead and don't look back!

Gene

15. TxTransplant

Gene

16. TxTransplant

Gene

17. TxTransplant

Gene

18. TxTransplant

Gene

19. TxTransplant

Gene

20. TxTransplant

Gene