close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seen something VERY rare this afternoon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Smallmouth Crazy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I was heading South on 270 between Tuttle Crossing and Cemetary Rd at about 3.15 and seen a Coyote off the side of the road, he was back off the road a touch close to the high grass, I was very surprised to see one period let alone in the middle of the afternoon next to a busy freeway, I have only seen a few in my time most of them being at night, I get excited by that kinda stuff(wife thinks Im crazy) now if I can only see one when Im out hunting!@

2. There are alot more of them out there than most people would think. I remeber when I started seeing them in NW Ohio 8-10 years ago, everyone I told thought I was nuts. That was untill they started seeing them and the dead ones on the road.[​IMG]

3. Almost any where outside of town you can call in 10 to 20 after dark.. Sometimes 30+.

I bet there is one less than a mile from ANYWHERE in the state.

4. I wasnt so surprised to see him because I know they are around, it was just right out there in broad daylight for the whole world to see along a crowded freeway, I have seen fox and coyote within a mile of my house and Im in a pretty crowded burb, they say that the explosion of yotes in the state is what is killing the hunting for everything else.

5. Doesn't suprise me one bit. I saw one about ten years ago running in a field off of Sawmill Rd.

ski

6. Hear them alot at alum creek at night.I have killed 7 most in West Virginia. We had 40 sheep an the things would get one or two a week. We saw a group of 4 take out a fawn in a old strip mine one day. We would stay up all night an stay 40 feet away from each other. They would walk to the fince one night the group of 6 started to howled 20 feet from me you talk about a hair raising noise. I got one an hit one other. We put a house cat in a cage let it stay out all day . At night they would move the cage at lest 10 feet.

7. That wasn't nice to do to the cat.

8. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

I see them on occassion in the field next to Rahal Racing. They don't seem to be intimidated by the amount of traffic in the area.

9. I agree seems like they have that Jurrassic Park thing going:D ;) the last one I seen was at the DQ in Hilliard in a tiny field next to the parking lot, it was winter time though, he was horribly thin, looked very unhealthy, and had drug some matted up, smashed piece of roadkill up into the field and was trying to get something from it, this animal I seen yesterday was large, looked very healthy, and just appeared to wonder out of the grass to watch traffic:confused: maybe there exploding #s mean they cant be as stealthy as they might want.

10. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

you must be in arizona.... 10-30 coyotes shot per day?

11. Didn't shoot - was with a buddy calling one night, one time all you could see were eyeballs!!!!

I've seen 30+ in hay fields in daytime.

Morgan County....

12. We used to hunt them in the Egypt Valley/Rt.519 area. There used to be tons of them out there. In the middle of the day you could see them walking the ridges around the strip pits. A guy I used to hunt with out there had one done into a full body mount with a rabbit in its mouth, its a pretty nice mount. In the summer time around dusk they would start to get really active and you could hear them howling all over the place.

Jake

13. I know there are a bunch just out of Dublin on Post rd. Problem with the hunting is that the Dublin Police always show up and try to run you off, even with permission. The strangest place I saw a yote was the Home Depot parking lot on 23 in Lewis center- it was scratching in the fresh mulch on the parking lot islands. At first I thought it was a mangy dog- it would move from island to island and scratch for grubs, I guess.

14. Sounds like heaven to me:) I would stake out that area until there were no more eyeballs, take out 2 or 3 of them and they would probably get wise to what was happening.

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I don't think I've ever seen a coyote. I did see a little red fox right next to the road in Hinkley coming home from work Monday. It was no bigger than a big housecat except the tail.

16. I have only seen 4 in the last 10-11 years.

17. Ive never seen a coyote until last week. I live in a woodsy type area and always see deer in my yard or in the neighbors. Last week, Im looking out the window into the neighbors yard and something comes trotting up his hill, I thought at first it was a stray dog until it came into my yard and I realized it was a coyote! Pretty cool, now if it would just stop pooping in my yard!

18. For suburb type hunting,use a .17 rimfire. Quiet and deadly at under 40 yards.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I'm confused: You did this in WV or OH? If OH, I wouldn't be talking about it too much on an open forum. Isn't that considered live baiting and illegal here?

20. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

I saw one off Duck Creek rd in Madisonville down in southwest ohio. This area is all urban, mostly manufacturing and housing. Only a couple of miles from downtown cinci. Broad day light just trotting along a tree line. It had mange real bad and was thin as could be. This was in early March so he was most light in search of somebodies cat or dog for an easy meal. Suprized me to see him in that environement but I guess not really all that suprizing with the loss of habitat that come's with development. S