Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
river rat
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after catching my first small mouth and walleye i'm going to use my white inline spinner bait as my go to lure.. guess it's true white is a color to use in stained waters guess i'll be buying white lures, there's a trout tourny in cherokee NC
not going gonna be swamped there with Festival of Native Peoples as well
i'm gonna try that lure and see if i can catch a trout in tribal waters
trout stamp is $10

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don’t know about tribal waters but in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park your lure can only have one hook and it can’t be a treble hook. You can’t use live bait in the GSMNP either but again I don’t know if that also applies to tribal waters. You defenately want to check that out.
Roostertail makes spinners that have a single hook; I’m sure many other companies do too. I would also recommend using a much smaller spinner than the one you caught your other fish on.
I would say that the tournament is almost certainly for fly fishermen though.

·
river rat
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there's a place called river valley store.. it's a gas station or shell i'll check out next time i'm there i saw a guy with a regular pole fishing using an ugly stick

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
White rooster tails definitely used to be my lure of choice for a while. As with most things though, my tastes have evolved with time. I still use one from time to time if there are a lot of aggressive smaller fish around. I will also tie one on for the lady so she can be guaranteed to catch something if she tags along with me.

·
Born Again Fisherman
227 Posts
after catching my first small mouth and walleye i'm going to use my white inline spinner bait as my go to lure.. guess it's true white is a color to use in stained waters guess i'll be buying white lures, there's a trout tourny in cherokee NC
not going gonna be swamped there with Festival of Native Peoples as well
i'm gonna try that lure and see if i can catch a trout in tribal waters
trout stamp is $10
I was just down in Cherokee Nat. Forest,NC trout fishing last month (see my post #118 in the "Current LMR Water Conditions" thread) The Old Boys I talked to down there were using these: http://www.bluefox.com/ ,they caught WAY more than we did on the white roosters.
You will have to buy an all species license which is $20 for 10 days and like $15 for 3 days.
Good Luck down there, it is beautiful.
And in ALL SERIOUSNESS do watch out for cooperheads!!! Unlike here, they are everywhere down there. We ran into a rather large one (4'+) warming on the pavement while walking to our fishing destination. Read up on the poisionous snakes in that area and how they react when danger is upon them.

·
river rat
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i called the cherokee chamber... they have trophy trout in the rivers
Prohibited inside the catch & release area on Raven Fork:
Taking of any live fish caught.
Use of any spin & bait casting rods, reels, lures, or tackle.
Use of any natural bait, fish bait or bait paste including fish eggs or derivative

one day is $10
http://www.fishcherokee.com/regulations.html

·
Born Again Fisherman
227 Posts
I don’t know about tribal waters but in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park your lure can only have one hook and it can’t be a treble hook. You can’t use live bait in the GSMNP either but again I don’t know if that also applies to tribal waters. You defenately want to check that out.
Roostertail makes spinners that have a single hook; I’m sure many other companies do too. I would also recommend using a much smaller spinner than the one you caught your other fish on.
I would say that the tournament is almost certainly for fly fishermen though.
Good Call Dandrews...Down in Cherokee,NF different streams and in some cases different locations of the same streams have different regulations on lures & how many fish you may keep. They are, for the most part, marked pretty well with what type of regulation applies to that particular part of the stream. Game Wardens down there check more heavily than up here, from what I understand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Try panther martins, they make single hook models. I always thought their blade style rotated better in the current. I've caught a ton of smallies on them in local streams. Had luck with them up on the mad trout fishing too. Usually stuck with the 1/8 to 1/4 oz sizes. You won't be disappointed.

·
river rat
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Call Dandrews...Down in Cherokee,NF different streams and in some cases different locations of the same streams have different regulations on lures & how many fish you may keep. They are, for the most part, marked pretty well with what type of regulation applies to that particular part of the stream. Game Wardens down there check more heavily than up here, from what I understand.
your allowed 10 a day

·
Born Again Fisherman
227 Posts
your allowed 10 a day
Ok, so I just looked at the map again since being back...I was in the Nantahala Nat.Forest just about 25 miles W/SW of Cherokee,N.C.

Looks like Cherokee has it's own set of rules as far as trout fishing. I know that we just went and got an all species 10 day permit for $20 and fished the stream that we camped right at, our spot was right on the cusp of how we could fish it and how many we could keep.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hey Trail, try mepps aglia naked sliver. When casting point rod tip towards lure and when sinks to desired depth slowly reel in slack till you feel resistance and will be sping. But please report about Fest cause that sounds really interesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts