Seeking opinions - bass fishing

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bobby, Jan 20, 2009.

1. I am looking into buying a new rod/reel set up for the year and can't seem to make up my mind. Do I buy a nice crankbait set up or a nice set up for flipping jigs. I have little experience with cranking for bass, but I think it is an important tactic to learn. However, I really like fishing jigs in cover.

How many of you fish crankbaits a lot during the spring/summer/fall? And do you think it is worth considering buying a cranking set up to learn on? Or should I stick with what I like best? I currently have a decent jigging set up, so this would simply be an upgrade.

For the record, I am leaning towards the cranking set up.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bobby

2. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

If your all set with your other rod combos then a cranking rod would be a good choice. If not you can get a rod you can use for other purposes along with cranking. For years i used rods that were not labled cranking rods. You just would not use a flipping stick for that rod. Get a medium action rod in your lenght of chioce and it will work well and you can use it for other applications. But if you throw cranks a lot it is a good idea to get one specifically designed for cranking. You will keep more of em hooked. More importantly the rod needs a limber tip but the whole rod should not be a noodle. Towards the reel the rod should have some backbone. Even then you will still loose a few even with the right rod. More importantly put good hooks on the crankbait and check them often.

3. Tokugawa

Tokugawa Tackle addict

My 2 cents: I added a crank setup this year as my 4th setup. It was my second baitcaster setup. I decided to go with a cranking rod because I was losing a few fish when they jumped. Not a lot of them...just enough to bother me. They threw the hook because my rod was too stiff, and I generally used braid on it. With one baitcaster, I wasn't about to switch out lines all the time. Cranks let me search for the fish pretty quickly, especially on new water. The crank rod can also be used for topwater and spinnerbaits.

Flipping is fun too...but I needed to get more bang for my buck as I fill out the rod stand. It is on the wish list...

4. Here's my two dimes (inflation) I would go with a crankbait set up. The one aspect of this set up is that the reel IMO should be a 4 to 1, or 5 to 1 gear ration. This keeps the lure working slowly through the water and prevents you from "overworking" the lure. I use a 7ft G Loomis custom rod with a specific blank for cranking. However you don't have to get that fancy, there are alot of good rods off the rack for the application. If I was going to spend the money I would go with St. Croix 7ft med/hvy Moderate action. The length will help in longer casting of smaller and or larger lures and the action will help when you're fighting and playing out the fish, especially at the boat. Not that I've ever lost a fish at the boat or anything like that LOL. Seriously though I would give the longer rod a try and St. Croix makes a good quality rod. I also read that the new Shimano Curado E series baitcaster does come in a 5 to 1 gear ratio as well as the Quantum KVD series. Either one would match well with the rod. Hope this helps.

5. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I do a little of everything because situations change day to day or week to week so I have setups for each style or technique. If you already have a good set up for fishing jigs then I would say a cranking rod. It definately helps in keeping more fish once you hook them and with a cranking rod, it does not wear you out as much especially when using deep divers. Another thing to keep in mind is that you can also use the cranking rod as a spinnerbait rod too.