Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Livin La Vita Loca
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions for a future trip at the Boundary Waters. I am an out of shape 57 year old and want to know what I would be getting into. I know first advice is to get in shape, right?

But if you have had experiences with specific outfitters, time of year, locations etc it would be of help. Also any specific gear recommendations.

I would like to target smallmouth especially, but walleye and lakers would be nice as well.

·
grateful thread
226 Posts
Went 2 years ago.. Left out of Sawbill Outfitters.. Good folks with a nice shop and campground. Self outfitted but I'm sure they do a good job. Traveled north and basecamped. Awesome country up that way. Going in less than a month to a lesser used entry. Try BWCA.com.. Info out the wazoo. Plenty of smallies all over up there. Pick a route that suits your physical ability and figure out what your priorities are.. There is something for everybody! I hear summer can get pretty busy, Spring and fall thins out the herds.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Coincidently, I am headed up in two weeks.....It will be my fourth trip....It's a great time up there! Beleive it or not, Smallies are not native to the region! With that said, there is tremendous smallmouth fishing to be had! Not all lakes hold all species...the big 4 are Smallies, Pike, lake trout, & Walleye....The closer you are to the edge of the BWCA, the more likely you will encounter all 4....the deeper in you go, the less likely you are to encounter walleye/smallies. I'll second woolybuggers recommendation of BWCA.com....a lot of helpful people and good info. on there......

Mike

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
A good outfitter can tailor a trip to all your needs if you are realistic about your expectations & abilities. Do you want the whole experience of wilderness canoeing/portaging/camping AND fishing? Or are you going primarily to fish?

Intend to do lots of canoeing & portaging? Then you should start training…. :)

I’ve been a few times, many years ago, when I was honed pretty sharp. Canoed many miles and did a bunch of portages, wearing a pack, while carrying the canoe. On occasion, I’d set that stuff down & hump back over to get another pack. Totally enjoyed the whole wilderness experience but my primary objective was to fish remote waters. Still in fair shape for my age, but I freely admit that those days are long gone.

However, I have family & friends who have made very fulfilling trips well after they would be considered outdoorsmen studs! In most cases, they paid to be transported either by truck, powerboat or float plane out to the “real wilderness,” eliminating a day or more’s worth of “just paddling.” If the additional cost seems unnecessary, consider that “Time is money” & this quickly puts you out where you (& the fish) may not see another person for days. This is the way I’d go now.

Take some like-minded companions w/you to spread the work on portages & in camp. The wife & I went alone the last time & it was too much work for her.

It’s a beautiful area - Enjoy!

·
Livin La Vita Loca
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all very usefull information, thanks to all you guys, i really appreciate it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been 6 or 7 times, almost always last week in May. The fishing can be fantastic or it can be dead - so much depends on weather. I'm not as young as I once was and the work doing all the portaging and paddling all day does wear on me (a gym membership would help ;) ). Doing a fly in trip sounds more appealing every year. Still, caught PB Pike 42 inches and numerous SM around 20". Lake trout and walleye are there but can be scarce. Can't say what time of year is best for fishing or avoiding the bugs (you must take a head net just in case they are bad).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts