close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Seats, bases and pedestals?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Saildog, Oct 11, 2005.

1. I'm buying a new boat (Carolina Skiff J14) that will be delivered as a completely bare hull. I need to add seats, which a trip to Bass Pro Shops proved to have more choices than I could have imagined.

The boat will have a fiberglass front casting deck (with access underneath), tiller steer (my ancient 5.5 Evinrude for now...9.9 sometime next year) and a front-mount trolling motor (planning on MK PD40). The front seat needs to be removable with a flush-mount base. The rear seat will mount to the foam-core floor, so needs to be above-deck mounting. It would be nice to remove the rear seat, but not absolutely neccessary.

What is the best type of pedestal to base mounting? I played with some of the seats on the boats at Bass Pro...the amount of wobble didn't seem to match any one type (taper, pin or button). Which do you think is the most stable? And are the $100 seats that much better than the $30-40 ones?

All of my previous boats have had built in seats, so this is new to me.

Thanks...

2. I used the the pin type seats with the spring loaded seat base and have not had any problems with it. As for seat prices, i guess it depends on your personal preference. If you have a back problem, then maybe the 100 dollar seats will help out with that, but for me the cheapest seats work best.

J

3. My Crestliner has Attwood/Swivl-eze 238's on it. they are pretty nice, not much play in them at all.

About the cheap seats. When I bought my boat I ask for an extra attwood seat that matched the seats on the Crestliner -------- Ha!, the dealer ask $300 just for the seat --- Ha Ha Ha, he a funny man.
    Cabela's angler series $50 -- Not as nice as the Attwood Centric but I saved $250.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0031963.jsp