close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sears Gamefisher

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Daduru, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I have a tecumseh 7.5hp 2 cycle outboard. I have gotten it to run, but only by opening the throttle all the way, and keeping it open. If i try to ease it into idling sputters out. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or does something sound broken on it? thanks.

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Probably a dirty carb. You might remove the idle screw and clean it out, also the bowl might have dirt in it. Best to just take the whole thing off & rebuild it. I'd try the idle screw 1st though ;)
    Also check the "rich-lean" adjustment if it has one. My old 10 hp Johnson does.

3. So how tight should the idle screw be? When I bought the motor, it was pretty loose, but when i had it in full throttle it wouldnt have any power, and i tightened it up and now I fly. Is this screw something I am supposed to adjust regularly when the motor is on? thanks for your input.

4. It has a idle adjustment, but it seems to do nothing when i turn it.

5. Is the Sears Gamefisher the same as the Sears Ted Williams?

6. I'm pretty sure its all the same, they modified the names slightly when they found different makers for the motors. Im not really an expert so maybe im wrong, just tried to find resources of help when i bought this motor on ebay. They had several different makers, eska, tecumseh etc.

7. Sounds like the problem I had with my Scott Atwater. Take the carb apart and clean it up. If there is an idle tub take a piece of wire (bread tie) and stick it down the tube from the top and up the tube from the bottom just to get any dirt out of it. Then blow it out with air. Then put it back together and try adjusting the idle knobs. Good luck.

8. Mine is a 76 Ted Williams and it was from Sears and is also a 7.5 hp Tecumseh motor. The carb is really easy to get off, I think just 4 screws and it came right off. I got a can of parts cleaner from Advance Auto Parts that came in a gallon can with a wire basket that you can just drop the whole carb down in there to clean it up. I have it off but have not cleaned it yet.

9. FYI-

There is one exacty like that advertised on WC Swap Board for $100. Might make yours a "parts" motor.

Tim