Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a partial concrete driveway poured in 1999. I know the guys that laid the drive put some kind of sealer on it when it was still wet. I have not sealed it since. It’s looking pretty groaty so I would like to power wash it.
After power washing should I seal it? If so, what kind of sealer?
Thanks,
Al

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a partial concrete driveway poured in 1999. I know the guys that laid the drive put some kind of sealer on it when it was still wet. I have not sealed it since. It’s looking pretty groaty so I would like to power wash it.
After power washing should I seal it? If so, what kind of sealer?
Thanks,
Al
I would contact a local ready mix producer and get their opinion on what product they recommend. Also,most of them have a merchandise department that can sell you a sealer that the professions use,not something that you buy from Lowe's.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,509 Posts
Second the Diamond seal, just ask for that with 30 solids, concrete supplier will know what you’re talking about absolutely fabulous product
Yup I know a couple guys that own concrete companies they all use it, excellent product

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I am very cautious about sealing concrete. I believe concrete is too expensive to replace so it's a good idea to do preventative care on it.
That being said having researched this for both stamped and plain finished concrete I can recommend the following:

Stamped concrete: like others have said Diamond Clear from Euclid Chemical. Hands down the best for stamped. However, will not recommend for plain finished concrete. It makes a slippery and slick surface on plain concrete. So if you have a wet driveway you can slip when it's wet. EUCO makes a pretty equivalent penetrating sealer for driveways. That's what you want to avoid salt, grime etc from getting down below the surface and breaking it down.

Plain Concrete: As said above, the EUCO penetrating sealer. Avoid the home depot Thompson etc sealers, not worth the money.

I had a new driveway 3 years ago. Prior to that winter to concrete folks recommended a company by the name of power green pressure wash. They didn't need to clean the driveway much but they used a sealer that is rated to get 5 years before reapply. So far it is still holding up pretty good and it cost me a little more than doing it myself. Thar was worth it to save me the work, as I always did it myself with euco products, which are not cheap. May want to look into them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Call Charles Phipps Company 216-641-2150 they'll help with your questions and have a large variety of sealers, don't call a concrete suppler
If we call Phipps can we drop your name Mike??? Tell them we know Mike H^/# and would like a discount? That would be a good call...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,703 Posts
I sealed my 30 year old patio with the Diamond after power washing. Looked great for about a month but then fadded out. 30 yr old concrete was just to poris to keep shinny. Hold onto your wallet it's 150 bucks for 5 gallons.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My drive is not stamped. I’m thinking a penetrating type sealer would be what I’m looking for. I did call Ready-Mix. They don’t carry any products but referred me to a company that does. I’ll take a look at Charles Phillips, Euclid Chemical and vSeal as well.
Thanks for all the input!
Al

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After much ado I chose Chemstop WB from Euclid. Pricy but it should get the job done. It’s a Silane/ Siloxane blend, penetrating sealer. They allege 8 to 10 years. We’ll see.... None the less, it seems to be the most highly regarded product out there of this type.
I attempted to spray it on with my garden sprayer after their recommendation. After about 3 gallons it was hopelessly plugged. (They will be my next call). Finished rolling it on. Rolling it on puts it on heavier than you need and takes longer. If I had a do-over I would strain it before putting it in the sprayer... Drive looks the same as after I power washed it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts